Name
    chaydon
    State
    The Shire
    Country
    UK

Thumbs up Round 3.. Zenki Trueno

Copied this over from the blog (

While some things like bad events come in 3's, Lionel Richie may beg to differ. And in my case, some good things happen in 3's too.

After speaking to Paddy at JDMAuctionWatch for a few weeks and eyeing up some potential candidates in the auctions, this specific car kept coming up. It never met the reserve which was higher than my maximum so I never gave it much thought. However on the most recent occasion the car popped up, the decision to put a bid in was made.

Waking up the next morning to see that we had won the car put a huge smile on my face. We knew the car was clean, but not much else other than it was very stock. After getting a friend to translate the auction sheet, it developed that the car had 163 thousand KM, only one owner from new and the car came with evidence of services and registration for the duration of its life! This is almost unheard of nowadays, with most AE86's passing through as many as 10-20 owners throughout their near 3 decades since production.

A few days after the auction was won, the car was transported to the agents yard where I received the photos below. Now the agonising wait has begun, with me checking the ship location on a daily basis, with the ship currently sat off the coast of Mexico.

I've already started amassing parts for the car, but make no mistake, the originality of the car was a big drawcard. Any parts removed from the car will not be sold on, but rather labelled and boxed so that the car can be returned to stock condition in the future again. The car currently only has 13in Watanabes and an aftermarket exhaust, which I believe to be a HKS one. From the factory it came with Aircon, power steering, electric mirrors and a sunroof, which will make it a great car to use daily in summer.

The car will not be as hardcore as my previous N2 Trueno, but will see both road and track/drift use. In anticipation of this, I have so far purchased two seats (more on these later as they have some neat history) and a rebuilt TRD 2Way LSD, fitted with thicker clutch plates and a 4.7 ratio to go in. On the way from Japan in the next few weeks hopefully are my new wheels, 14x8.5-13 and 14x9-19 RS Watanabe wheels in gold. In the next few weeks I will hopefully have sorted coilovers and RCA's, with an adjustable panhard rod being made by Neil over at Driftoy.

Anyway, onto the photos.. I will hope to keep a build thread updated for this car both on the blog and the various forums:

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Name
    chaydon
    State
    The Shire
    Country
    UK

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

thats it for now.. more soon!

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Very nice. Looks really well kept.i love Zenki's

Name
    Geoff
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Wow, this is such a clean kept zenki. very similar to mine but in better condition. very keen to see where you end up with this!

Name
    chaydon
    State
    The Shire
    Country
    UK

After all that wait, the car has arrived!

It's cleaner than I could have imagined, with only a tiny rust scab on the sunroof skin. Won't be able to drive it for a little while yet. Need to get it MOT'd, registered, tax and insured which isn't cheap. Also needs four new tyres.

But I'm happy! The amount of service history that came with the car was also staggering. I'll get a few photos of it and post them up soon.

Gave the car a quick wash in the freezing cold wind but plan on giving it a proper clean if we get a warm day soon.

I am now at the point where I'm unsure as to whether I want to fit the wheels I've ordered (14x8.5 -13 and 14x9 -19 Watanabes) as it would mean flaring the arches which are really clean. I've paid for the wheels and the arduous 3 1/2 month wait for them to ship is nearly over. Most people would shudder at the thought of doing that to a tidy car but at the end of the day, I intend to keep the car for a long time and I'll be doing some modifications to enhance the drivability and looks. Decisions, decisions....

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Wow! Very clean car!

Hahaha@
    "Cigarettes holder for refreshing
    you are highly strung in hard driving"

Interesting in hearing the history of the seats you've bought.
    Love a good seat, and a good story!

I don't know that I would fit wheels THAT wide. It wouldn't hurt to just roll the arches, rather than a flare.
    I think mods that are easily reversible are perfect on such a straight car as this.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Modifying or drifting a car this clean is retarded.

You will regret it in the future.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

End of the day it's your car, my car is almost as clean as this and I plan on cutting the floor for an equal length three link. I say if you're going to keep it forever go nuts, if you're just going to sell it later maybe not so much.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I agree that its his car, he can do what he wants. These are getting harder to find in this condition, the value and quality of the car will stay with its current unmolested state.

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Both points are valid.
    That interior is so clean. The seat back shells in that uncracked condition...its something you rarely see.
    One thing I've noticed about jdm cars is the engine bays are almost always filthy. I dont understand how the outside can be so well kept but its like the engine bay never gets washed. Maybe the factory paint gets porous with heat and just collects road crap..I dont know.
    Looking forward to seeing the new wheels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast