Thread: 7MGTE Z20 Snorer

Name
    aaron
    State
    south australia
    Country
    australia

Default 7MGTE Z20 Snorer

hey guys, ive had this mx73 cressida for a little while now and has turned into a project and thought i may aswell make a build thread! when i picked it up it was covered in cobwebs, dust in the interior just really dirty! the owner said it hadnt been started in 3 or 4 months so he chucked a battery in there and it started first shot! after a quick test drive i handed over the money and brought it back home! its a 1986 gl-i mx73 cressida, it has the standard 5mge engine with a auto box 290000kms but it still drives alright just needs a good service and tune up. the hubs have been converted to 5x114 toyota crown hubs front and rear!

heres some pictures! enjoy
    heres when i picked it up

this is how dirty the carpet was

after a clean

after a quick wash and a trip to the petrol station

got a new windscreen as previous was cracked down the middle
    tried on my brothers old wheels off his jzx100 i think they are 18 x 9 +20.

i reckon they are a bit too big diameter wise maybe some 16/17's would suit it more!

there wasnt too much rust just mainly on pillars near front and rear glass
    bogged and ready to paint

also had some dents in the rear next to the boot

got to start on the left flare all bogged and sanded smooth

all primered up

at this time i got a new job so that ment this will be getting a lot of love in the near future!
    the last couple off weekends i prepped the car for paint and finally laid down some paint yesterday! i went with white as it stays cleaner for longer and its easier to touch up if i stuff it up. i went with white knight rust guard paint as i saw a forum of it being used and thought id give it a crack! it was only $140 all up and didn't mind if it came out bad.

here are some pics, i didn't take much time masking up cause as i was in a rush so will clean all the overspray off next weekend! i used all 4L of the paint so will have to get a couple of cans to do the door sills and the front scuttle panel!

i thought it came out alright for a backyard job, just gotta wait for the paint to harden so i can sand it down and polish it!
    havent done a lot lately due to being busy all the time but finally removed all the tape and excess overspray.

started to wet sand the paint starting off at 800 and working my way upto 1500 wet and dry sandpaper. i used 400 grit on the bits that orange peeled lots.
    heres a sneak peak to the paint all sanded and polished with a rotary buff. still need to do one side and the bonnet and ill get some full car picks.

around this time i decided to give up working on the 5mge so started looking at conversions.
    went and picked up the 7mgte the other week, looks in pretty good knick, just needs a clean and a new head gasket then shell be ready to be dropped in! it came with an auto box unfortunately but the bloke i bought it off said he has a manual conversion for a bit more so will try get some money for that in the next few weeks!

since then i got another turbo with a dump pipe and manifold for cheap, also in better condition than my other! also waiting to hear back for a price on a intake manifold, alternator and bracket and metal coolant hoses. started to rip out the old engine tonight so that should come out this weekend or next if i can get a hold of a engine crane!

also getting a w58 manual conversion when this bloke finishes getting it out of his supra! anyone know if ma70 pedalboxes fit?
    that's it for now! thanks
    Last edited by Jacobxxx; 3rd February 2014 at 10:28 AM.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Wholy overspray batman, haha but seriously looks like it has found a loving home

Name
    aaron
    State
    south australia
    Country
    australia

its all off now besides the wheels haha should of spent more time masking up but learnt my lesson for next time!

Name
    aaron
    State
    south australia
    Country
    australia

going to look at a donor car tommorow for this a mz20 7mgteu, t5 5spd with heavy duty clutch. anyone know if the pedal box and gearbox will fit with my gbox xmember? dont mind having to do a bit of custom work if its needed?

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hey mate, not sure what you mean about the pedal box?
    you will need to do a hydro clutch pedal conversion.

These guys are the guys to by from for any MX73 parts

here is all your toyota stuff

with the box x member, the x73 has about 8 mounting holes so you can move the x member forward and aft, you will have to have a look to see what might work

looks like you have been getting your hand dirty, good work

Name
    aaron
    State
    south australia
    Country
    australia

i am buying a mz21 soarer for a donor car and was wondering if the manual medal box out of that would fit? or would i have to do some modification?

Name
    aaron
    State
    south australia
    Country
    australia

bought this on Saturday, mz20/21 soarer 7mgte-u. got it running when i got home but when i goto rev it cuts and almost dies? would this be timing? also a injector is pissing fuel out so ill replace all of them with my spare engine rail as they look to be in good knick!

it came with tein coilovers, big exhaust and a few other things, so if people want stuff out of it then give me a yell!

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Probably only needs O rings on the injectors, the cutting could be anything, maybe extremely fouled plugs? Does it idle well?

Name
    aaron
    State
    south australia
    Country
    australia

it idles pretty good little hesitation but that would be cause of the shit injector! ill have a look at the plugs tonight and ill try find a timing light and check timing. it was sitting in this blokes yard for a few years without being started! will have a better look when im at the car! cheers

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah probably not plugs then, check the timing and get the injector situation sorted out and go from there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast