Flat through the first left over the crest is a great feeling

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

a 40 would be good for a 5m!

some guys in a lightly modded new 86 struggled to get a high 39 so that would be good!

Hopefully meet you at the one on the 31st of August!
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Patrick
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Went to Collingrove this weekend, 3:40-6:00

41.58s, cut 2 seconds off my previous best time!

I'd definitely break into the 40s with some semislicks instead of Achilles ATR Sports, I'm feeling real good about it for next time. Also 7MGE/GTE is on the cards over summer, pending an MR620 reply form.

Last edited by patrickleslie; 1st September 2014 at 07:32 PM.

Name
    Patrick
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Ok, update. I am going for a 7MGTE swap but I am going to run it NA for a while while I have to worry about L, P1 and P2 restrictions for my girlfriend and other family members. Here's some sort of list of things that need to happen to pass registration inspection, and get this done to a standard that I am happy with. Please do suggest things that I may have left out.

Yeah yeah no h8 pls, non turbo and lower compression but ehh I have to be sensible with my daily. It is still a massive improvement on the 5ME and could potentially be a simple night's work to bolt the turbo manifold back on for a track day...would need a new exhaust for that too...side pipes lol

That's it?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Just use a 7MGE from a MX83 cressida! Or a 2JZGE if you have more money. Turbo NA is a waste of time.

Brakes, run the BA falcon rotor + Skyline 4 piston caliper setup. google it on toymods.

Cambertop are fine in you want to get an engineers input to sign them off.

Your diff is plenty strong enough for around 250rwkw, its a 7.5" F series.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Patrick
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

That depends on what the end goal is There is a cheap complete 7MGTE that I know the history of. I'd like to take advantage of the 7MGTE intake, bottom end, electronic differences etc. Plus it will also be easy swap to turbo when necessary. Compression ratios are 8.4:1 as a NA 7MGTE, 9.2:1 as per 7MGE, 8.1:1 as per current 5ME, plus the capacity increase...NA 7MGTE will still be a significant increase from the 5ME. Yes, In an ideal world I'd run the 7MGE pistons in a non turbo 7MGTE, but that would mean splitting a rebuilt complete engine.

DPTI says that a 2JZ needs torsional rigidity tests for both GE and GTE so that's just not happening legally. The 7M is an easier swap anyway and once I don't have to worry about the turbo rules it can reach my 200kw target power fairly simply. I wouldn't put much more into the chassis than that so for the price I'd pay to do it a JZ just isn't worth it.

My 5ME is making around 90kW and I figure the NA 7MGTE will make about 140kW, that's plenty for the time being.

300x22 is a DPTI requirement. I'm familiar with those moe common upgrades but Z32/R33 296mm and BA is 298mm. DPTI has already knocked me back on both accounts. Plus they mount differently and will push the wheel track out too which is another DPTI requirement. The Merc/Nissan combo mounts to the stock positions and just needs a larger bore and redrill to 4 stud. It's a shame not as many people know about it as it's simpler than the Z32/R33/BA swap.

Cheaper to just swap the tops in and out as required instead of engineering. I do like to do things by the book (like getting the 7MGTE engine number onto the rego in the first place) but there is a limit to how much money I wish to spend doing that

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

just do the swaps and keep it looking standardish?
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Patrick
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Actually, after some further phone calls and clarification I might be going for the full 7MGTE anyway. P platers still couldn't drive it even if it were non turbo because it is still modified. So that consideration basically goes out the window...I am going to submit another MR620 form with the turbo and we'll see what happens and where to go from there. That would at least make for a simpler swap, but might result in some actual engineering costs :/

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

do you really need to engineer it?

Name
    Patrick
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Id like to, but it depends on what the statement of requirements says when i get it. I may not need engineering tests or reports. If there is no torsion rigidity test I think I'd just do it. That's the deal breaker. I got quotes earlier which were over $1000 for that one test! Nope! The SOR:VM lasts for a year so Ive got plenty of time to worry about it later and the 5ME has a bit of time left in it anyway

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast