Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle licencing - do I need to get the car 'engineered'.

Name
    Steve
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Default Vehicle licencing - do I need to get the car 'engineered'.

Hi All,

So my predicament is:
    I bought an unlicenced AE86 last year with a 4agze engine.
    The car had been licenced previously with the 4AGZE (about 10 years ago), but as far as i can tell doesnt have a mod plate for the new engine.
    I have a copy of the inspection/licence papers from when it was originally licenced with the 4agze.

So my question is; Will i need to get the car 'engineered' (or more correctly re-engineered) to get a mod plate before i take it over the pits to get it licenced? Or does the fact that it had been previously licenced mean i dont need a mod plate?

cheers, Steve.
    Last edited by Jim621; 24th March 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Im not sure of your rules ect. But why do you have to take it over the pits if its been registered. Can't you just go into the the rego office and get it re registered. .if not they'll tell you what needs to be done
    MOPAR or no car!

Name
    Steve
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

In WA, if the car has been unregistered for more than 3 months it needs to go over the pits.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I would say make the car as respectable and legitimate as possible, have the paperwork with the engine number of your GZE on it, be polite and just give it a go at the pits.

Worst they can say is, you need it to have a mod plate, there is a list of approved engineers on the website or something similar.

It could be the loss of the money for the pits, but you could save the cost of engineering

I was thinking that when I get my sr car finished I might just roll it over the pits and see what is said.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Steve
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

The answer i got from the DoT when i called them was WA dont have mod plates, so it shouldnt be an issue getting the car licenced......

Ill give it a go just taking the car across the pits as it is.
    The car isnt hugely modified, and presents quite well since i have given it some TLC (degreasing, painting and refurbing the running gear).

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Sounds good, as I said, mine is relatively heavily modified (in that it has another manufacturer's engine in it etc) but should present reasonably well, so I was planning on just giving it a go and rolling over. I mean given I am only intending to have it as a track car the worst they can do is tell me it doesn't comply... no love lost that way

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Steve
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

So just an update for anyone that is interested.
    Took the car to an inspector on monday (guy in Ellenbrook my brother had used before), and the car passed the inspection (*eventually) after a few minor changes.

The inspector was happy with the original engineering paperwork for the engine swap which was good.
    As you said Robbo, the car presented well (new brakes, cleaned and painted suspension, polished paint, clean windows etc), which i think helped.

The two things i had to change were: where the brake lines passed through the strut i held them on with cable ties - the inspector didnt approve so sent me to a brake place up the road to get clips fitted - $20 and 10 mins later that was resolved.
    And the other issue was i didnt have a mod permit for the pod filter. I would have thought since the pod filter was mentioned on the engine change paperwork i wouldnt need a separate approval for that. Anyway, the inspector sent me into the licencing department office in Midland to buy a mod permit....$19.50 later i had a receipt, drove back to the inspector and then he passed my car.
    Whats the purpose of the mod permit?????....other than just a greedy money hungry goverment thing!!

Anywho, after all that (about 4 hours) I then had to drive back to the licencing deparment to get the car registered. Unfortunately they wouldnt licence the car because the receipt i got previous owner of the car wasnt that crash hot, and he was an overseas exchange student and had returned home so couldnt be contacted. So i had to complete a Stat Dec, and that will take 21 days to get reviewed to check the car hasnt been stolen etc.
    So hopefully in another two weeks or so i will have an approved licenced 86!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Sounds good mate!

I miss driving mine on the street, but it would take a brave inspector to approve it

Do you get to drive it while the stat dec is reviewed? I am assuming not

Current Cars:

Name
    Steve
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Negative on driving it while waiting for the stat dec....not the end of the world though as it gives me time to install some new steering bushes and RCA's i bought.

Name
    Phirom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I nearly had the same problem as you back when I went to license my T18 back when, my receipt wasn't the best either when I bought my car. But I did manage to get my plates after the licensing officer had like a 5min whinge about it. I guess it may have paid off being the first person in the licensing centre at the time, it was proably too early for him to care.

Good luck getting the car on the road!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast