Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New billet parabolic velocity stacks now available

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Wonder whats going to happen if ttt starts making a parabolic design. I hope the expectation of ethics goes both ways. Patent that sam!

Its always best to focus on your own strengths, rather than perceived weaknesses of others. So often its just your own perception thats wrong, and that makes all your claims baseless. Instead of taking the chance to put out your research and findings which are the real selling points anyhow.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think far fewer than kids that have ae86s'. They tend to go to places ike Yager for their performance stuff and pay someone to do it all. Sams best way into this market is to approach Yager and the like and sell them on the benefits of the product. However without any kind of patent you cannot really claim the design. They may well just buy a batch, copy the idea and make their own, especially if the price is high due to 100% australian manufacturing. I beleive if you can deliver the product around the same price as the competitors, that you will outsell them. If you do really well expect a lot of similar things to pop up though.

Any good product gets copied eventually by someone who can make it cheaper. The european soft close drawers which cost $80 for a small one have now been copied in my industry, and they can be had for $28 for the chinese copies. Yes they arent as high quality, but its not the kind of difference a layperson could appreciate. You would be prolonging the profitable part for longer if you do manage to outsource things, and you would make it harder and less profitable for the competition to undercut you, and you could roll the price down once systems were in place for production and you have covered your r and d and setup costs to stay competitive. The way inflation has been going, commodity prices, and the cost of labour in australia, its hard to see it being viable to make them here in future.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Can't patent something that's already existing and also it takes hundreds of thousands to challenge one. You and Joel are both right about your points. I need to stop with the mud slinging and instead make a general point of how what I have is better that other products in general instead of any one specific company. I need to put aside any personal grievances and just focus on selling my strong points of trying to offer the best I can. I think Jamie here helping with hard flow numbers is the right way to go. The flow bench doesn't give a crap how much or little you think of something. If I can get hard numbers to prove things then why not. So you guys keep doing what you're doing, I do appreciate the input.

I until recently didn't know the Yager guy was still around. I tried for a whole year to contact him to offer him money for his thermostat outlet design before making my upgraded version of the same concept. Even then I wouldn't of done so if he still sold them. Same goes with the HKS oil pressure kit, I for the first time directly copied something, but only because it was no longer sold. You're mostly right about the clubman guys though. They do buy the occasional bits off me like genuine parts, if it comes to engine building they wouldn't even ask me, which suits me as I don't that much about the specifics of some things in a build.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Sam willing to help anytime, you just can't beat hard facts! Sam we are moving workshops, the engine dyno is getting moved into the new premises, I am going to get my butt into action and get that BT mounted up to the engine dyno, will have to fab a few bits an pieces but I think it's about time to do some BT 20V engine testing. I want to try a heap of headers including standard, different ram lengths, and a set of Poncams would be a nice test.
    Hachiroku since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedSpirit View Post
    When i grow up I wanna be just like Uncle Frak Frak.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thanks sam, i would really like to see your new design put to test on a motor, and compare it to a standard 20v intake and to a constant radius stack

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I agree Matt, theory is one thing but often reality doesn't agree. I am fairly confident that this design will help in the real world, I just don't know by how much. It would suck if it all just made the same power or to my horror less power. It would need to be against something the same length though so it would need to be something like the 50mm Jubride.

Jamie and I have already talked about trying different things on the engine on the dyno, I look forward to it. The one I want to see the most is stock airbox and trumpets compared to aftermarket open.
    Last edited by Sam-Q; 19th April 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

For sure, we need to find some that are a 50mm length though or else we can't directly compare. The Jubride is the same but we don't have them handy to try, they look like this:

Although very hard to make out, it doesn't look like they have a good transition between the taper and straight section. Rather a sharp edge, but maybe that's just how it looks in the photo. Even then what if they work the same as mine, would it be because of the big taper making up for the bell-mouth? The only way I can see a true test is for me to get a single set machined that do have a fixed edge which isn't going to happen.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Update time:

Blacktop on the left and silver on the right.

I used a 260 degree cut hole instead of a slot for the blacktop so it still locates true every time while still keeping a common price and material size between the two different models.

I have lots of these in stock so if anyone wants some then let me know.

Time to go back to the flow bench now.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ooooh, perdyyy

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I have a nobby booth carbon airbox It would be better for me to run these trumpets inside rather than just the airbox?
    MOPAR or no car!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast