Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Changes to the Victorian Club Permit scheme

Hi guys!

As our cars are eligible (and many of us are involved with clubs and the Club Permit scheme) I thought it would be interesting to discuss the proposed changes to the current system.

Currently, in dot points.
    - no RWC required (formally), some clubs require them to cover themselves.
    - 45/90 day scheme
    - 2 (or 3?) variations of permit - Historic, street rod (and a classic one? pre-1931?)
    - Police previously did not have access to your plates in their system, and had to lodge an inquiry (insider info)
    - Eastlink couldn't read your plates, making it free
    - A lot of room for abuse of such an awesome system
    - You could be defected, but it was easy to get rid of if your club didn't require a RWC, and police were being a bit more lenient on this.

Well the AOMC have had enough of the abuse by a lot of clubs/members of clubs. Not going to name names, but we all know of clubs that exists solely to profit from it and give cheap rego/insurance.
    It's due to this rapid growth that they're reviewing the whole system, and a big shakeup is due.
    An AOMC forum was held this weekend, and they have proposed a few changes. Here is a summary of the discussion, I've taken this from a vintage truck forum:

"Here’s our summary of the AOMC meeting held today regarding changes to the Club Permit Scheme. Over 300 people attended and it was conducted by Rod Amos. Dennis Brookes and David Wenker were there for the HCVC. The changes are scheduled to come in sometime between July and September 2014.
    Changes
    1. Club Safety inspections will be limited to pre 1931 vehicles. Vehicles post 1931 will require a Road Worthy Certificate. Vic Roads will be look at how to provide adequate support to RWC testers unfamiliar with older vehicles and will produce a check list for those doing safety inspections on the pre 1931 cars.

2. Clubs will need to hold dated photographs of each vehicle that applies for Club plates (i.e new applications - not vehicles already on club plates). They will have to show various views of the car, plus the engine bay, interior etc. These photos will have to be accessible to VicRoads upon request. These photos act as a record of what the vehicle was like when it was put on red plates.

3. There will be a new M plate for extensively modified vehicles – plate to be the 12345M format. Police could demand that current vehicles on H plates that are extensively modified be inspected and reassigned to M plates.

4. A new Vic Roads standard will be introduced - VSI 33 - that specifies modifications not requiring certification for CPS vehicles. However , VSI 33 only applies to ‘light four wheeled vehicles’. Motor bikes and heavy vehicles will have their own Standard – which will be introduced at some unstated date in the future. Because this standard will not apply to trucks I didn’t really take extensive notes however here is a summary -

VSI 33 has three age categories - vehicles manufactured before 1/1/1949; vehicles manufactured from 1/1/1949 and up to 31/12/1968 and vehicles manufactured from 1/1/1969. VSI 33 covers
    various aspects of the vehicle such as body work, engines, brakes, fuel systems etc. AOMC is generally happy with the flexibility of these specifications – for instance a vehicle could be fitted an unmodifed engine if it was offered as an option by a manufacturer and does not provide a significant increase in power; Brakes can be replaced by other brakes if they were ‘manufactured by an entity that is subject to laws governing product liabilty’ For vehicles built after 1/1/1969 VSI 33 does not apply – the current standard VSI 8 applies.

However Rod Amos says that if the modifications are not permitted under the new VSI 33, then if they fit into the existing VSI 8 parameters that’s ok and if they don’t fit into VSI 8 and they fit into the current VSB 14 parameters that’s ok and finally if they don’t fit into VSB 14 then you will need to get a VASS Engineers inspection.

AOMC are also in talks with VicRoads regarding replica vehicles and ‘pop up’ clubs ie clubs whose sole purpose is to provide cheap rego via CPS. There has been the issue as whether Vic Roads will limit the number of people in a Club who can sign CPS forms. No decision on this – it will be looked at when VicRoads look at the issue of the suitability of Clubs to issue Club Permits.

Heather and John Arnold, Trafalgar Truck Restorers Club"

I think it's important we take note of these changes, as they could affect us in a BIG way, and we should prepare to make changes if necessary to our cars/builds/attitudes.
    Most of us run modified vehicles, which means we may fall into that category. Which could mean tougher restrictions, forced engineers certs. etc. etc.

They're looking at having a range of number plates/divisions in the scheme.

I know that as of the 1st of July, our permit number plates will be added to the VicRoads database, meaning we will now have to pay for Eastlink and the po-po can read our plates in traffic.
    As for the other changes, anywhere from July to September.

Thoughts? Comments?
    Know more information about it?

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, any news on what the rules are regarding what's highly modified and what isn't?

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Nothing official yet James, this was the council meeting for people to contribute towards and voice opinions, as well as the AOMC let people know what they're suggesting.

My personal guess would be that modified would be anything that would require engineers cert. That would make the most sense. Past a simple engine swap (4ac to 4age), or factory upgrades like disc t-series.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

That would make sense so hopefully they do something along those lines. Vicroads and logic seem to be mutually exclusive however.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Doesn't add much info but just incase someone is interested here is the annoucement from the Toyota car club:

The one thing that I care about the most is being able to use my car with a programable ecu
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Toyota Car club have done some very annoying things recently...Andrew whatever his name is the social president needs to step down IMO.

That aside, it is pretty much aligning historic rego with normal rego in that if you have mods you need an engineers cert, not that frustrating TBH.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Pretty frustrating that anything modified will now have M on the plates, and will probably become a new target for highway patrol much like anything with a P plate...

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Very interesting reading the Toyota car club's stand point. I thought they would have some issues. As they passed quite a few completely unroadworthy cars onto club plates.

And I hadn't thought of that, but a good point with the M plates.

Reading through VSI 8 - I say we start to circulate documentation for the ae86 and really get into the nitty gritty of what is legal or illegal, for our own references.

It was always going to happen, and in truth, why should we be excepted from the law in regards to having a Roadworthy vehicle?

It would, however, be good if club roadworthy was a different process where they could legally overlook small items such as bushes and surface rust that a regular roadworthy may call out.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Really? I would be interested to hear what things you have found annoying. Despite being a "sponsor" I don't have close ties.

I guess I shouldn't freak out, if I can't have my programable ecu then I just go to the wreckers buy a camry one or something either put mine inside it or use it as a decoy while mine is inside the heater ducting, try and find that!
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.