Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Police radars

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Spoken like a true Lawson. Definitely agree with the inaccuracy of chooch coppers with handheld radars, but one of the points I was trying to make is that there is not much of a way to botch the reading with the car mounted ones. Handheld radars themselves are a flawed device and are pretty easily fooled (especially by traffic, i.e. a large truck moving behind a smaller car) and personally I think they should be done away with.

Correct, RA/RC over read on the gauge (displayed 100, actual 97), confirmed firsthand - cop colorados have a calibrated digital speedo on the dash to combat this.

Depends on the year of manufacture. Anything manufactured after 2006 can't 'under read' at all (speedo can't read lower than actual) and the maximum for over reading is 10% + 4km/h (the minimum your speedo can display at 100km/h actual is 94 km/h.

If your car is manufactured before July 2006 your car can have 10% error either way, so at 100km/h actual, it can read as far out as 90km/h or 110km/h. Even the vehicle standards guys at regency park allow the 10% error for older cars. Refer to ADR 18/03.

HOWEVER despite all of this, it depends on who you get busted by. Apparently Victoria Police only have a 3km/h tolerance - I have nothing to back this up, that's just what i've heard, and it seems ludicrous.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I can guarantee they won't do shit, usually there's not much you can do to adjust a speedometer short of changing your tyre size (which might be worth looking in to improve accuracy in the future).
    Last edited by Javal; 21st May 2014 at 04:07 PM.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

3km/h for Victoria is correct, and I agree that it's complete bullshit. I had a cop on a hand-held clock me at 190km/h once, and I was driving a sigma with only 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears in the box. Paperwork in the case showed it was calibrated the week before too, what a joke they are...

Name
    Patrick
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

A theoretically perfect Melbourne-Adelaide trip at 110/100 takes just under 8 hours. Assuming that all town speed limits stay the same 80/60 then theoretically (and in practice) at 130 that takes 5 hours. There is a real case for higher highway limits. The lives saved just considering fatigue by cutting the driving time would be a huge chunk of our road fatalities on the SA side of the border anyway. We statistically have crashes around the Keith area, which is about 6 hours out of Melbourne right where you should be having your third 2 hourly stop, and 99% of them are fatigue crashes...but if you can do the whole trip in 5 hours..... well

Until the laws change to something more relevant to the pretty good road conditions and long distances we have in this country the only sure way to do those kind of speeds and not get caught is to stay on the ball and slow down for ANY oncoming car or parked car on the side of the road.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

well said
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Corey
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

were you in SA at time of getting busted? unlucky if you were, the fine would've been significantly less in Vic, we get shafted hard here in SA!!

Earlier this year i got busted doing 9kms over in vic, and then couple weeks later (i know should've learnt my lesson blah blah) got done 9kms over in SA, from memory the SA fine was about $180 more expensive.. Its bollocks

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I was sadly. I think the fine system changed recently which increased demerits and how much you would be fined.

Three years ago I got a 9 over and it was $250, think its $350 now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2