Thread: Police radars

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default Police radars

Anyone been caught for speeding by a police car coming in the opposite direction? I got done on the way back from mildura, radars must be pretty high tech. Talking to the guy apparently even 5ks over is a $350 fine..

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I was always of the impression that up to 9km over was the buffer zone and should be okay

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

That's what I thought, so I was sitting at 120 on speedo, which is really 117. Cop said I was doing 126? Makes me wonder how accurate the radar was

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Tell him to get off the bongs? Could your speedo be out?

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Possibly, wouldn't expect it on a low km rodeo. Its a fine either way but its 400 and 4 demerits now instead of 250 and 3

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

It's much, much more likely yours is out. You were doing 120 on the gauge anyway, so you have no excuse really.

Oncoming radar cars are a shit of a thing but there's no doubt they're accurate. The cars are calibrated every few months and the radar computer gets the vehicle speed signal directly off the high speed data bus. I've worked quite extensively on them and they're pretty flashy pieces of kit. More and more SAPOL vehicles entering service are fitted with them, although not every new vehicle gets an updated cop kit, they re-use them from decommissioned cars. There's also a number of cars with license plate recognition gear on board.

The thing to take away from this is that whilst a number of people habitually do it, it's really not worth speeding on the highway. Personally i'd love to see a raised speed limit, but I know that plenty of muppets can't handle their car on the highway, let alone at a higher speed limit. 10 km/h over the limit only nets you... well, an extra 10 kays an hour, so to Mildura, that'd be like, arriving 45 minutes earlier. If you didn't stop for a break / petrol / piss the whole way. So was 45 minutes worth $400?
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Fuck the Police

Police speed detection is riddled with errors, there is so many parameters. They have been proven inaccurate time and time again

MP Bob Such had the back wall of a court room clocked at 8 km/h with a radar
    Last edited by AJPS; 21st May 2014 at 02:14 PM.
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Jake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Late model Rodeo/Colarados are known for a having the speedo out from the factory

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I think under australian standards vehicles can have their speedos out to by as much as 6% but the police radars are set to 3% from memory. So that means under australian law the gov is bending you over as they technically are cheating their own rules

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I was speeding any way you look at it annoying as it is to be fined for, but at the time I didn't think I was due to not knowing the 5kmph over rule..

It's a 91 or something Deo, got like 80,000kms, I'll get them to check it out next service.

Maybe just one of those wrong time wrong place things, speedo out by 3, radar out by 3, and I was coming down a crest when I saw the cop car. Wonder how many highway accidents are due to speed compared to fatigue and inattentive driving (which are more dangerous but much harder to be fined for).

End of the day Javal is on the money, not worth the minimal time saved

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast