Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RT142/ST141 1 brake master options?

Name
    Peter
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

would a master cylinder matched to the yr22 drums and a proportioning valve on the front circuit not be adequate in this instance then?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

You can't restrict the front circuit. The rears would grab hard before the front and the front would have delayed / slowed engagement. You want the fronts to be doing as much work as they can.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Peter
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

looks like a disc conversion for the rear then, my ke30 has ra60 front brakes (maybe ma61) and mx73 rears on a yr22 diff with a standard master cylinder and the brakes work great, i highly suggest konakid fitting up some either ma61, mx73 or rt142 irs rear brakes, all his problems should be solved. mind you try the bias valve first, it is a cheep and hopeful fix
    Last edited by YRO 11A; 3rd July 2014 at 01:00 AM.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Isn't what he needs, a metering valve more than a prop. valve?
    "The metering valve section of the combination valve is required on cars that have disc brakes on the front wheels and drum brakes on the rear wheels. If you have read How Disc Brakes Works and How Drum Brakes Work, you know that the disc brake pad is normally in contact with the disc, while the drum brake shoes are normally pulled away from the drum. Because of this, the disc brakes are in a position to engage before the drum brakes when you push the brake pedal down.

The metering valve compensates for this, making the drum brakes engage just before the disc brakes. The metering valve does not allow any pressure to the disc brakes until a threshold pressure has been reached. The threshold pressure is low compared to the maximum pressure in the braking system, so the drum brakes just barely engage before the disc brakes kick in. "

Also, I wish I had more rear brake bias than I do now. The front brakes are way too big for the tire I have and the rear brakes are tiny for the tire I have out there. Manually having to do the brake proportioning everytime I need to quickly stop the car in the rain is annoying.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for all the input guys but I ve decieded to ditch the bigger master option at this stage and go Z32 280x30 rotors and 4 piston alloy calipers up front on the current ra65 struts and keep the YR22 tarago F rear drums as they are. Will add a bigger master and maybe a bias valve to get it all right once its up and running and has been trialled. That way i eliminate the rear disc headfuck and drum rear means the handbrake will still grab nicely (once i downgrade form 3/4 to 5/8 for the hydro master cyl for more leverage)

The tarago while still drum is 26mm bigger diamter and 6mm wider shoe area than stock corona, a decent upgrade considering i dont really plan on circuit racing the car. Mainly drift, and hillclimb.

Sound like a plan team? Still reckon ill need that bigger master tho for increase in surface area of the rear pistons and now the front pistons also. Rear wheel cylinder bore 22.22mm and the Z32 fronts are 1.59" or 4x40.4mm
    Last edited by Konakid; 4th July 2014 at 12:22 AM.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

What front calipers? Piston surface area on the front will dictate ideal master size.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Re read, you are drunk.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Z32 Rotors AND calipers?

If so, apologies I assumed you made a noob statement and were getting '4 piston alloy calipers' as a generic thing, along with a motec exhaust.

Also not drunk, just tired. Long day stopping noobs from goofing.
    Last edited by Javal; 4th July 2014 at 12:30 AM.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Nah was thinking D2 8 piston fronts.

Haha, yeah fair enough, its like the little brother version of the R33 GTS-T caliper and BA falcon 296mm rotor setup. Same mods required with the hub milled down a few mill and the spacer ring on the hub to locate the inner of the rotor (floating setup) with 8mm longer studs (and 8mm track increase)
    Last edited by Konakid; 4th July 2014 at 12:46 AM.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Peter
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Keeping 4 stud? Also I was under the impression that the nissan rotors bolt to the back of the hub like the factory corona setup?
    Sounds like a great idea, as it should be 'bolt on'
    You may be able to run a z32 booster and master, ill have to check with my mate but he was going to use something similar with his monster brake setup.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast