Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RT142/ST141 1 brake master options?

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Definitely keeping 4 stud, just redrill rotor. Sits over im pretty sure? Toymods link

If ra60/65setup fits i should have all master sizes covered if i need to upgrade i think.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Peter
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

yeah your right, i guess i just looked at the hat height of the 33gtst rotors i got with my calipers and assumed they bolted on the back. the other thing that popped into my mind is that mx73 and ma61 boosters should bolt onto the corona firewall. i cant confirm that like i can with ra60/5 but the chassis are damn close and it gives you more possibilities when trying to source one
    I have read that z32 masters are 17/16. but that is quite possibly with abs. I found out with my rona setup that the non abs r33gtst used 15/16 so went with that, also due to having 1inch in there and finding it too firm. you quite possibly will need a 1 inch master cylinder after all. If you have a decent brake shop around they should be able to set you up with a brand new master as soon as you've swaped the booster to a 4 bolt type
    also another friend of mine used an mpv rotor with a modified hub and a nissan cailper no spacer or hubcentric ring needed in believe, that writeup might be on toymods somewhere too
    Last edited by YRO 11A; 4th July 2014 at 02:33 AM.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Why is it that bolting on a part to the car is too hard?

I'll remove the hydro handbrake caliper mounts if you want to.

The only difficult thing is getting the axles machined down to fit inside s13 rear rotor and that'll do your locating as well. Drill out the handbrake cable splitter thing to 10mm (?) and find a mount for the cables and you're done from memory. If you don't care for handbrake, you can swap up to z32/r32-34 disc and calipers after redrilling.

I have never heard of a 17/16 master from Nissan. The usual ones are bm38(13/16), bm44(15/16) and bm50(1") but don't quote me on that. Bm38 is on silvias, the bm44 on most things that had 4 pots and the GT-R and maybe some z32 had bm50's. Although I could be confusing abs cars and non-abs cars. The 17/16 might be off a patrol or something bigger. I have r34 brake on a bm38 and I prefer to the stock single piston feel.

Also, tell me more about this ra65 brake caliper upgrade. I feel that ra40 and ra65 struts have the same caliper mounting points.

Name
    Peter
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

one example of a 17/16 or inch and 1/16
    ra40 struts run a backing plate caliper bracket and a 254x12.7mm rotor, the caliper bolt spacing is 175mm
    ra65 struts have the caliper ears as part of Stub axle with 258x20mm rotor, the bolt spacing is 100mm
    ra40 is completely different, a good caliper upgrade for those is some rx7 caliper with a slightly modified backing plate/caliper bracket
    if you want pics i can take some for you, i have all these parts out in the shed

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

General consensus from 5 minutes of googling is the Z32 Calipers have ~40mm pistons (non turbo are 38, turbo are 40?) - if so, you want a 1" Master cyl and an adj prop valve on the rear circuit. I did the maths on this ages ago when I was building my setup. LN106 Hilux 4-pistons also have 40mm pistons which I am using with a 1" master, which is a nice coincidence. The pedal effort and travel are spot on.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    bazz
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

The 17/16 nissan bmc is the bm55 found on z32 r32gtr vspec(brembo) r33 gtr

Name
    bazz
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

If you want non abs. You will need the bm55 from a r32 gtr n1. The only non abs I know. There are aftermarket for about $150-200. Original new go for about 350-400

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks josh, ill sort out a 1 inch + RA65 booster combo. hopefully the BM nissan range bolt up to the 4 bolt ra65 booster pattern ill have to measure it.

Reading up on the Mazda MPV rotor now, 276x28mm, apparently only need to machine hub down make a locating ring for the rotor without making up a caliper spacer to suit. This will give better wheel clearance also as it leaves the caliper closer to the strut by10mm.

Skylar, i may take you up on your offer in the future if i decide to go circuit racing, that rear setup you have designed is S13 rotor and caliper? Would be a good match for the Z32 4 pot fronts i feel. I don't have a cable handbrake, only the hydraulic one for drifting purposes. I am wary of how a disc rear may make the handbrake work less effectively.
    Last edited by Konakid; 4th July 2014 at 12:18 PM.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Peter
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I know the nissan mcyls will bolt to ae86 booster, but unless an 86 booster will for the rona. I only mentioned it as a reference for size to match the calipera. Where did you find the mpv info, I searched brake threads for ages last night and couldn't find it

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

MPV Rotor + nissan 4 pot caliper

read page 1 then skip to like page 5
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast