Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How does Subaru tie into the ae86 family?!?!?!?!

Name
    Austin
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    USA

Default How does Subaru tie into the ae86 family?!?!?!?!

I've been pondering this for a while now and I cannot figure it out for the life of me. How does the Subaru BRZ tie into the ae86 history line? it isn't a Toyota but is based off the ae86, did Subaru have something to do with the ae86 that I'm missing? If this is posted in the wrong area of the forums I'm sorry I'm new.
    Follow me on IG to follow my AE86 Coupe Build IG: Hodle

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

some context would help...

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Uhhhh they supplied the motor for the new 86. Toyota built the chassis, Subaru supplied the engine. It's happened a few times in the past. Alfa Romeo and Nissan(?) got together in the late 80s as did Holden and Nissan in the 90s so it's not a new thing.
    4agte finally finished. 252rwkw with more to come

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

To be honest Big T, Fuji Heavy (ie, Subaru) built the whole thing... There are many places on the chassis that are stamped Subaru just to spite Toyota owners it would seem.

Toyota were heavily involved in the design process (and actually instigated it) and did much of the exterior design and suspension tuning. Toyota were also the side that set some of the defining characteristics of the car that were heavily debated and opposed by Subaru, ie NA, RWD and lightweight focused. They also 'gave' Subaru the D4S direct injection system as part of the deal, which was directly against the advice of the company hierarchy.

Having said that, Toyota own a stake in Subaru in the order of 20-25%. Therefore Toyota do well when Subaru do well.

In direct answer to your question Subaru have no link to the AE86. The BRZ project is the ZN6 project and that is the only 'link'. Again, if Subaru had their way the project would hardly have paid any homage to the AE86 as it would have been substantially heavier, Turbo and AWD.

There are also rumors that Subaru are fed up with the whole thing and want to pull out of the project altogether, but that is all internet rumor and hearsay.... So who knows how valid it is or isn't.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Austin
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    USA

Oh alright that makes sense, like ford and Toyota with the prism. I guess I should of know Toyota doesn't really like flat four tech.
    Follow me on IG to follow my AE86 Coupe Build IG: Hodle

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

First of all welcome to our forums...

The share Toyota have in Subaru I feel played a played a significant part in the partnership, along with cost savings and things like that. Partnering up to save costs is not something new to Toyota, as they have done in the past with our local manufacturer holden. The Nova ( which is an AE92 Corolla) and the Lexcen ( Holden Commodore) were effectively the same cars.

Toyota is also partnering up with BMW to produce the new model Supra which will be very interesting to see how it is received around the world. Toyota is also still selling ALLOT of Corollas and Camrys world wide and not having the capacity to produce the cars could play a role too.

Subaru fans are angry the car is NA, Toyota fans are angry it has the boxer engine and myself am wondering how long this arrangement will last.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

haha sums it up perfectly
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Phuoc
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Its a Subaru chassis and motor with Toyota's direct injection.

The idea of the car was there but the design in my opinion could of been better.

I'd still buy one though
    Pick up Sydney
    Pics can be sent by phone
    Emails ignored
    Texts ignored
    Private numbers ignored
    Wankers abused

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Its not the first time toyota has had a boxer engine and toyota threw subaru a lifeline due to shithouse sales of the current shit subaru lineup.
    True story bro

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i cant wait for the partnership to end - wish subaru were never involved - but it would of been a lot more expensive

Matt - the toyota lexen thing was partially australian govt mandated

Mazda and ford had a massive partnership with a lot of shared platforms and cars
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast