Thread: Whats the best way to build a 16v 4age?

Name
    Austin
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    USA

Default Whats the best way to build a 16v 4age?

What's your guys opinions on the best way to build a 4age? I'm going to be building a spare 4age soon and want to know what ideas are out there, I'm thinking about a supercharged 4age with light weight flywheel and ported head? What's Ur guys opinions? Post'em here!
    Follow me on IG to follow my AE86 Coupe Build IG: Hodle

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

How long is a piece of string?

There is no one "best" way. It's all preference.
    And by build, I assume you mean tune.

Is it for street/track/drift/grip?
    What kind of power do you want to make?
    Do you want to spend $200 or $20,000?

Looks like you already want to supercharge and lightweight flywheel with a ported head.
    Supercharge - bigport head.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Buy a 4agze. Disassemble, true everything up, replace consumables, buy a twin screw charger from c4ag (I think), add a turbo, throw some cams at the motor and pump 35 psi at it. You'll want a T-101/GF4a and a explorer 8.8 or something to hold the power. That'd be what I'd throw together if I had the time and money. : )

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Budget / what you want from the car is the first question you have to ask yourself. Turbo / NA etc. is the car for the track or daily use.

What engine do you have, bigport / smallport etc?

Naturally Aspirated 4age

The first thing you do is bump up the compression , as to what ratio to go to will depend on your usage of the car, fuel you wish to run , if you are going to run an aftermarket computer etc.

I've found on pump fuel (98) you don't want to exceed around 11-11.5:1 ratio. If you are using e85 then you can go 13:1 etc.

My understanding of the principals of an engine is as follows.

more air + fuel = more power.

Allot of people think if you rev an engine harder you will get more power out of it. To a point this is correct, but there is also limitations of the rods / components. The harder you rev an engine the more stress you will put on the rods. An engine sounds epic at 10,000rpm, but it also costs allot to make it strong.

For the 4age to rev, you need compression. To make power at high RPM you need bigger cams. But the bigger the cam, the longer it takes for the power to kick in. So if you go too big you will lose the power down low and have to give it allot of RPM to move off the line. Which this will make it an absolute pig to drive in traffic and you won't be loving life much. You can think of it as like turbo lag to a point.

So to bump up the compression you can do it a couple of ways.

*Thinner headgasket
    * Change the pistons
    * Skim the head / block

Allot of people recommend using arp studs and bolts, but me personally have found the factory oem bolts to be good enough for my usage.

As for the head, effectively by porting it you are allowing more air in and out. By simply making bigger ports doesn't necessarily mean you will make more power either, as the air needs to enter at speed and there must be a vacuum to get it into the cylinders. Over sized valves help the amount of air that enters the cylinder increase, but to make the most of them you must also have the inlet / exhaust ports on the head to match.

You can also advance the timing to get more power and run adjustable cam gears to change the overlap to make more power.

If you go bigger than 264 cams you will have to get an after market ecu for it to run properly.

Turbo Engines

Old school was to run low compression / forged pistons and slap the turbo on the end and wind up the boost.

Though with modern ecus it is not uncommon to hear of turbo setups that are running 10:1 compression and are very responsive. Best of both worlds, no turbo lag + the kick of the boost when it comes on. Sure you wouldn't run 20+ psi on these setups but at the same time you don't need to.

The turbo forces more air into the engine, so in turbo applications focus most of your effort on getting the air / fuel ratios and timing right. So the quicker you can get the air in / out of the engine in turbo applications the more power you will make.

You most definately have to run a after market ecu.

In our cars anything near the 200kw at the wheels is allot of fun and more than enough for most people.
    Last edited by Matt; 16th August 2014 at 08:35 AM.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Austin
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    USA

Sorry for the miss wording Jrad I meant what is your opinions on the best 4age build and I'm loving these replies but none of them have peeked my interest more than the super charger setup. My personal ae86 is going to be a weekend warrior and be for the tongue, keep these replies coming I love reading all of them!
    Follow me on IG to follow my AE86 Coupe Build IG: Hodle

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

In that case just grab a 4agze, do the abv mod and put a bigger pulley on it to up the boost. In my experience of 4agze the t50 was fine but the t series diffs would snap axels regularly.

There's not really any point in trying to make the motor look pretty because the supercharger makes it look like a mess. Just focus on short intercooler piping and a small intercooler. Maybe put some 1zz plugs on it and call it done.

I put a toda light weight fly wheel on mine and couldn't notice any difference
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?