Thread: Queensland based sprint/circuit racing noobie.

Name
    Ben
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Default Queensland based sprint/circuit racing noobie.

Hey guys!

I'm making my debut appearance to the track on September 17th at Lakeside Raceway (QLD) at the QR midweek sprints event.
    Needless to say, I'm excited as all hell to finally put my car to work, proving to my significant other that my time and money has actually gone somewhere.

I'm a regular member over at RC but have come to the conclusion that the participation and forum traffic is laking in the motorsport side of things, so I figured I would slap up a thread.

Essentially, I'm pretty much just posting as a social invitation and to also see if there are any regular events that members will attend. It would be phenomenal to be able to compare times, share advice and most of all learn from people more experienced than myself.

Please post up if you hit the track in your Corolla in the Gold Coast/Brisbane area, I would love to meet some people and even lend a hand to learn as much as I can.

My corolla consists of -
    AE71
    4A-GE 16v bigport transplanted from AE82, pretty much standard.
    86 struts converted to coilovers used steel sleeves, KYB AGX inserts, 6kg otomoto springs with helpers.
    JDM front brakes.
    KYB excel G rear shocks with celica king springs.
    Standard open borg diff.
    14x7 hurricane wheels with RE001 all round.

Currently working on -
    I just purchased a Zenki T series diff that I want to convert to LSD, I'll probably go with a 2 way KAAZ item.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140826_174114.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	363.3 KB 
ID:	33004  

Name
    Jamie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey mate,
    Looks good! Yeah I am keen, its just having the time off work to actually come to one of these things!
    Car is almost ready but needs some final cosmetic things done.

I will look into what work has in store for me, if it looks like the moons align I will defs roll out for a run in the mid week sprints.
    Also new to it all and keen to try some different settings and have a play with it.
    Been trying to find a decent trailer for it that is reasonably priced, but there seems to be not many for sale around second hand that will take a lower car.

Was supposed to run Leyburn and Mt Cotton the other weekend but work has had me away and not able to attend.
    Wanted to run out at Lakeside for gen practice at some stage soon too, so if you are keen def be good to have a car one can follow to see whats going on.

Cheers
    J

Name
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Nice looking xE7x B-Lugg, nice and clean.

I am smack bang in the middle of building a new race car and am really looking forward to getting some seat time, i might venture out and see how you go champ, good too see someone racing an xE7x instead of thrashing it until its twisted, keep it clean man and look forward to seeing you out there.

Name
    Ben
    State
    QLD
    Country

Thank you for the replies guys!

I would be absolutely stoked to see some like minded people out there - I'm stupidly excited for the first time out, it will be interested to see how the car fairs, I actually kind of hope something fails to find the weaker links in the car to iron them out for future improvements. Racing has always interested me a lot more than drifting, although fun as hell and a sport in it's own right. Racing has always seemed to have a certain level of finesse that has attracted me to it.
    I think I might build a skidder in the near future on the side as I have a tonne of friends that drift and it would be great socially. Racing has my full attention at the minute though.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Good luck at the Sprints man! Coming shortly eh?
    I am looking to run the Mt Cotton HillClimb coming up 4-5 Oct. If you are keen, jump in and enter! There is a test and Tune there on the 19th which I will also go and have a run at.

Let me know how you are positioned eh! I am away working so cant make the mid week sprints this week though. Good luck again!

Name
    Ben
    State
    QLD
    Country

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10707956_10204912167994280_644506867_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	33242
    I'm hooked.
    What an incredible experience, couldn't have asked for anything more. The car held up extremely well with me trying to beat it to death, the people there were extremely helpful and friendly and I really rate that track. For what it is it's extremely fast flowing and challenging.
    I ended up with a PB of 1:09.90, I was aiming for 10's so I'm stoked to have broken that! Once I got over the nervousness of being out there the first time it was an absolute ball.

Absolutely loved it.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thats a good time for the track mate, well done.
    Yeah it is a great feeling track with all the elevation change.

How was the format of the day setout?

I am booked in to run Mt Cotton on the 5th and 6th of Dec and will go to the test and tune they have on the 19th too.
    You should roll out for the test and tune, you can pay and play on the day for that, I can send a form for it if you need.

Name
    Ben
    State
    QLD
    Country

Checked with the Boss today and because I already have annual leave approved I can't get the days off for Mt Cotton! Sucks!

I'm looking in to a run at QR as soon as possible - I do want to get an LSD in my T series before the next run, I think that will make a massive difference.

Good luck at the Mt Cotton events, from what I've read, they're heaps of fun.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Bugger! All good though, I am sure once the LSD goes in the old girl will melt your existing time at the Lake
    I have no benchmark time I'm expecting to run at MtCotton. Really no idea...maybe once I am happy with everything to get a low 50 or high 40 would be nice.

Anyone else run at Cotton with an 86 and set something I can compare too?