Hey everyone,
I thought I would put up a guide for applying VHT wrinkle plus paint, as there are a few around, but I was still unsure as they aren't made very clear.
The directions on the can are a bit confusing.

What you will need:
1. The object you are painting
2. VHT wrinkle plus - available from Autobarn, Repco and Bursons (cheapest @ $18) N/A from Supercheap
3. Masking tape (optional, but helps when sanding and painting)
4. Sand paper. I used 400, 800 and 1500 grit
5. Prep wash/cleaner/grease and wax remover
Optional: Paint stripper and heat gun.

Step 1:
Remove all the old paint from the object. In this case, I'm painting valve covers.
You can do this by using sand paper or paint stripper. Paint stripper is probably a good option because it gets between the lettering.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140913_162802.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	33218

Step 2:
Wipe the covers with prep wash.
Don't let it stay on and soak in, otherwise the paint will sillicone up when applying.
So wipe on, wipe off with a clean rag.

Step 3:
Paint the covers. It's REALLY important you follow the directions on the can with this.
You need to do 3 relatively heavy coats in a cross-hatch pattern.
1st coat Vertical, 2nd coat horizontal, 3rd coat diagonal.
Best painting temps are between 16C and 35C.

Make sure to leave 5 minutes between coats, as the paint needs to tack off before getting the next coat.
(sorry, no pics of the painting process!)

TIP: The heavier you put the paint on, the more pronounced the wrinkles will be.
If you Google it, there is a Datsun cover with REALLY noticeable wrinkles in a guide.
I did not want this look, so applied my first coat to just colour the whole cover, but not have the paint almost running.

TIP 2: This paint over-sprays like a mofo. So don't do it near your car or in a small space. Try to do it outdoors.
You can feel the paint land on the hairs on your arms.

Name:	20140913_214910.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	33219

Step 4:
Allow to air dry for a minimum of 2 hours.
It will have wrinkled up a bit, but don't touch it! It's probably still a bit tacky.

This is a macro photo of my textured finish. It's a bit finer than others I've seen online. But I like that.

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	33225

Step 5:
Here's where the can directions get confusing. The can reads:
"Avoid contact with surface for at least 24 hours. Allow 48 hours or more before reassembling parts.
To cure paint, bake in an oven for one hour @ 200F (93C)"

I thought "is that before or after 24 hours?"

So, I baked it after 2 hours of air drying. I did it in the kitchen oven - make sure your mother isn't home.
It makes the house smell of paint, and the oven smell of paint for a couple of days.

Turned the oven up to 100, and then put them in for an hour.

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	33220

If you don't want to do this, normal operating conditions in your engine bay should eventually cure the paint anyway.
Alternatively, you could use a heat gun. Try to do it all evenly and don't concentrate the heat in one place. Otherwise the finish may be uneven.

Step 6:
Sand back lettering. I first scraped off the excess paint with a sharp razor blade, then worked from 400 to 800 to 1500 grit sand paper.
I placed masking tape around the letters so I didn't slip and flat spot the textured finish.
Finishing with some Autosol to get the letters to an almost polished finish.

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	33221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	33222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	33223

Step 7:
Sit back, admire your work, and share it in your build thread

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	33224