Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Huws 4agte ae86

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

If you crack the filter a little and drain the oil out of the sump first, just wrap a rag around the filter and you won't spill any. I have mine up on the strut tower and haven't ever had to clean up afterwards.

So many nice bits in this, all the hard work will definitely be worth it when you get to drive it again.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I don't have the space to mount it any further forwards, the straight fittings and angle of home coming off prevent that.

Its just a bit of oil, some degreaser and the gerni will sort it out.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Update time:

Come home for a fortnight and really got stuck in. Came home to a Streeter parcel:

Time to get them fitted up, ripped out the old arms which actually have had the bushes replaced not long before I got the car. Here is a comparison between the old arms and the new ones:

And the bushes:

Wasn't too difficult to get them in the car. While I was under the car, I swapped out the rear springs for a softer rate spring. These new ones are now 245mm free height, 3.5kg. Originally I had 225mm, 4.5kg in there. I also bought some traction brackets, and they were fitted up.

New legs on an old dog:

I think I originally installed the rear shocker incorrectly. It never had any droop and the spring was compressed to much for my liking. This is how it was originally installed, you can see there is a lot of thread that isn't used:

A brainwave got me thinking that there should be a spacer at the base of the thread to hold the lower bush higher and effectively lower the shock body. I had some spacers spare from another project that are perfect for this. These will almost give me another inch of droop:

This is how they look installed now, the spring is still captive but puts the shock in a much better place when full weight is on the suspension.

You might have noticed there is another pair of springs there. I felt I need to soften up the car all round, so time to rip out the front spring, 7kg, and replace them with a 5kg and helper spring.
    This is actually quite easy due to the aftermarket setup I have in the car, I was able to swap each spring in 10 minutes!

Now the driveline is in, I lubed them up. I really like Nulon products and try to use them when I can:

Ive focused on trying to use the correct Toyota parts where I can, and never liked the drivers side engine mount wasn't a proper RWD 4age one that allowed for the inlet manifold brace:

Ive got several of these stashed away. I used the sand blaster at work, then a quick lick of paint and fitted the new mount and brace up:

Last boring job was fitting up the starter motor. Its a 1.3kw jobbie from a smallport 4age. I used a boot from another starter to protect the cable and terminal as it sits close to the block.

More to do tomorrow.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

so good Huw!

Dont stop now!
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Good work, I see you have set yourself a deadline within a few months. Keep up the great work
    Big up's for the North East Massiv'
    NSATB - New Skids Around The Block

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Update:

I have attempted some light body work. First time i've tried anything like this (paint and panel), everyone has to start somewhere I guess. I had this bonnet that was way better condition than the one that originally came on the car, only problem, some D bag has used a whole can of flat black on it for some reason. Time to get out the paint stripper.

And the final result:

Take a step back, the bonnet already had holes in it from some dodgy bonnet pin install. I had always intended to run a second catch system, I like the flush mount setup so I grabbed a set. I had to use the holes that were already there, so limited me a little as to where I could mount them. Im pretty happy with how the final product came out:

Bonnet fitted up to car, it's not 100% perfect. I'm happy for my first attempt. It needs a proper cut and polish and the colour match is not totally perfect, this doesnt worry me. I learnt heaps and will know more for next time.

I fitted up the turbo again, the car is going for exhaust and intercooler. I figured it was probably important to have that stuff in place for teh fabrication guy.

This is what he has to work with, space wise for the dump and ext gate plumb back:

Also had a chance to get the fuel system upto date:

I made this small hose that goes from the fitting on the outlet of the OEM pump cradle to the filter.

Then I mounted the filter up underneath the rear of the car, made another hose that goes to the 3/8 hard line that I added under the car:

In the engine bay, I mounted the Sard regulator to the strut tower. The return hose will go onto the original feed line and back to the tank. You can also see the 3/8 feed line, it has a 90 degree -6 waiting for me to fit the hose that will go to the rail.

Last edited by slide86; 18th February 2016 at 01:02 PM.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Whilst on the painting I cleaned up the front bar and lip and made them the same colour. I wanted to try and get close to the original black the bumpers would have been. The Duplicolour flat black is great, I am happy with the outcome: (They are dirty from being in the shed)

Gave the bumper mounts a quick spray too:

The eyelids and corner lights didn't escape the paint treatment:

From this:

To this:

Got a pair of wider front wheels as I want to run 205 semi slicks, and i figure a 7" wheel would be more suited to that.

Went from a Work mesh 15 x 6.5 +23 to Buddy Club P1 15 x 7 +25 ish.

And finally, got both cars out for a quick car wash.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

are those P1s sitting like that just with the +10mm hubs?
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Yep. No other mods. LCA are at their shortest too.

They are the ones I got off Rex.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yewwww
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast