Thread: Want an ae86, need help! (honda owner)

Name
    Chris
    State
    ga
    Country
    usa

Exclamation Want an ae86, need help! (honda owner)

First off i would like to give basic info about me:

-I drive a 97 civic coupe with a b20vtec conversion and im kinda done with hondas, i have lost a lot of interest
    -I like N/A over boost anyday, mostly for reliability because i want a reliable daily
    -I like lightweight, high revving, short geared cars.
    -Dont care for drifting i just like a nice looking, low car, good fitment, not much camber preferably, and overall a great handling car.

Now to my question:

-I want an AE86 coupe, flip up headlights(trueno?), not sure for the technical name for this, but its what i want haha. so i want to know the best trim model for my best start in swapping it
    -Looking for about 2 hours at some info on 4age's and i want a fuel injected version thats easiest to swap. (4AGE16v Redtop?) i heard the 20v re harder to swap so ill stay away for now. lol
    -as far as modding it goes my goals would be about 160hp MAYBE if its affordable, but ill settle for what i can get.
    I was thinking a stock bottom end, cammed head, itbs, exhaust, and a tuned ecu. i looked at bill sherwoods guide and it helped a bit. but can i achive that horsepower with those mods without it costing too much
    -What transmission is best for this and also what rear end? I was thinking GTS lsd 4.77final drive and tranny?

So what i asking is, whats the best car for this swap with minimal money and effort needed to do a 4age 16v swap with decent hp gains?

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Just buy a gts to start with and be done with it. It'll have a 4age to begin with and the t series rear end as well.

Bills figures are engine flywheel hp, hence 160 hp is only around 85ish rwkw. Quite easy to achieve with just cams and ecu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4agte finally finished. 252rwkw with more to come

Name
    Chris
    State
    ga
    Country
    usa

What model 4age comes in the GTS? And also what would be a good suspension set up for daily driving and a little cornering an basically no drifting maybe just an ignorant slide every now and then haha. Would like to keep all under $1000 and get new bushings all around

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Does it matter what head? You want the power take a small and port it when you put your cams in. Over there I'm pretty sure that someone makes a plug and play loom for the 20v. Make your own I've never done this but theres plenty of videos and threads on people who have used mr2 shock inserts and I'm should there others, has for the rear they normally use Tokico HTS or KYB AGX shocks. Up to you on spring rate normally on 6kg front and 4kg rear.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Early Bluetop bigport in the gts. It'll get your target figure easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Welcome here...

Gts is definitely the model you want, as for the hp figure Id be putting in a set of higher comp Pistons as
    the 4age responds really well to an increase in compression. If you are rebuilding the motor it is well worth it.

Jump on on craigs list and you will find one reasonably cheap. Watch out for rust though. The main areas here in Australia are the rear quarters, under the tail lights , above the passenger door, around the windscreen and also in the b pillar, boot etc. they do get pretty bad hey.

Itbs sound amazing and that noise alone is why many people love the 4age. Silvertop 20v quads are large enough to use in most na applications. Battle garage in the usa are a distributor for sq engineering here and can hook you up with a good quality set of trumpets

i hope that helps somewhat and if you have more questions please ask
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Chris
    State
    ga
    Country
    usa

Thanks so much everyone. Are 86s good to dailey? How much abuse can they handle motor wise being as old as it is. And what's a couple good websites to find parts for it? I wa looking at something called technotoy and it has a lot of good looking parts they made an adapter to fit the 20v itbs on the 15v for $120 but I'm sure you can find one cheaper. How sensitive is this car to modding? I guess what I mean by that is hondas can be missed wrong and throw a cel or anything random and get you on the road still.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

It sounds like you are after a "cheap" car. Ae86s are NOT cheap to mod well. They also have a relatively high buy in price for an old car.

You can easily sink 10k into one without thinking. Being able to do all the work yourself helps and they are fairly easy to work on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

With an after market ecu you can do anything you want but the ecu tune may need refining depending on what you have done.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Quads are a decent muck around, pretty $$$ etc for minimal gains unless your doing alot of top end racing not worth it in my opinion. They do sound awesome though.
    Is it a good daily. . In stockish gts form with suspension in good condition or good aftermarket stuff yes I'd say its a good daily. But going from your honda to an 86 you may feel differently.
    The thing with 86's is they sound great when redlined and its easy to get carried away with them, so the car that was once nice to drive daily becomes a pig to drive after you've worked it to be a road legal race car.
    They are good on fuel though.
    Again everybody here will have an opinion, im just rambling.
    I dont drive mine daily anymore but I'd never part ways with it