Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 5th AE86 - 1983 JDM Trueno - Daily/Hillclimber - Moonlight Garage

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Default My 5th AE86 - 1983 JDM Trueno - Daily/Hillclimber - Moonlight Garage

Well, after many many years of building modified ADM's, I have finally picked up a JDM Trueno...... The car has been living a quiet life for quite some time, so it was time to give it some life again.....

Here are the specs as I've bought it...

1983 Toyota Sprinter Trueno
    Black with white bonnet, originally red bleeding panda
    Smallport 4AGE (Converted in Japan)
    TRD or Tecarts 3.5 gearset close ratio T50 gearbox - Pretty sure it's Tecarts but not 100%
    TRD Short shifter
    T series LSD
    Watanabe Type-R wheels, 15x8.5" -6 front, 15x9'' -12 rear
    Power steering
    Factory Electric Sunroof
    TRD plug leads
    Japanese extractors
    2.25 Exhaust
    Heavy duty clutch
    Lightened flywheel
    Koni Coilovers front and rear
    Cusco Strut tower brace
    Bride Drivers seat and rail
    TRD deep dish steering wheel
    Power windows
    Power mirrors
    Genuine SHINE AERO kouki Trueno front bar, sideskirts and rear pods (Car also came with spare factory sideskirts)
    JVC Android compatible CD player

The car drives amazing, the N/A 4AGE screams, and the 3.5 gearset close ratios gearbox is unreal!!!

Bought the car as my daily.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

She is nice man, don't you own enough of these yet?
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Nup, just bought another 86 last week

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

You should definitely give this car to me

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Ok, so, been a while since update....

Not all has gone so smoothly :/

So, after buying the car with rego, I took it to the RTA for inspection to get the car changed over into my name.......
    The Rta failed it on a crack in the front left chassis rail. Sure enough, there was a crack in the bottom of the rail, on the chassis side of crossmember...... They said the rail had to be repaired by a professional body works shop. Fair enough. So, I took it to a panel shop that was recommended by the previous owner. He works at a car dealership in used car division and they use this panel shop for all their work....

They had the car for a few days and they welded and plated the crack...

I then took the car back to the RTA, and they failed it again..... They were not happy with the repair job... They said that the whole left hand rail needed to be replaced and the car is now considered a repairable writeoff....

By now, I am furious...

After getting legal advice, the prrevious owner was liable for the damage because of what was worded on the receipt as selling a "registered" car......... After discussion with the previous owner and bodyshop for not fixing the car to what the RTA required initially, it was agreed that the panel shop and previous owner would replace the whole chassis rail at no cost to me........ I offered to do the mechanical work so save them some money since they were covering the major costs....

The previous owner found a good LH chassis rail and supplied it to the panel shop and I gave them the car with a stripped out engine bay and passenger side interior removed...

It took less than a week, and I got the car back a few weeks ago...

The whole rail has been replaced, looks like a vERY good job, looks factory, you could never tell by looking at it, all photo diary evidence of work done (required for repairable writeoffs) and the car was all made perfect on the car aligner....

Pics from the repair process -

Next thing to do was to pull the gearbox off the motor to check clutch condition before putting it all back in the car..... The clutch looks almost new, but after inspecting the gearbox, It was obvious that the input shaft bearing on the gearbox was rooted!!!!

Here is a video of the input shaft movement -

After looking around, it turns out the input shaft bearing is rather hard to get now as they are no longer produced...... Toyota wanted $286 from Japan. No bearing shops were able to get any from any brand! I found Amayama has some at $92ea plus post, but I gave Goldberg a call and he had one last one left for me which he is sending me

INPUT SHAFT REMOVED -

I pulled the box apart and Iam just waiting on the bearing to arrive..

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Do have an idea of what the actual cost was for replacing the chassis rail?

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Nah man, I didnt even ask... I was just happy it was getting done at no cost to me.

Plus, the previous owner has a work contract for that panel shop , so it wouldnt have been full price anyway

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Wow... not good, but at least it was found sooner rather than later I guess.

I don't feel as silly now for always writing 'Car is sold as is and no warranty is included or implied' on all of my sales recipients now

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Entered the car in this show on the weekend... Great turnout

Name
    Timmy D
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

who knew you could go to Canberra and see 2 Truenos and 4 Levin coupes all in one weekend !

had a great weekend

just so people know ACT crew know how it 86!
    JJ
    "my mind demands side pipes out of hear, now to command my hands to make them"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast