Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 0036's AE86 Levin Resurection Build

Name
    Eddie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

^ for sure, i would have a crack with bakers soldering fluid (flux) and a soldering iron!
    AE86 THE BEST

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Spent sometime on the weekend working on the 86, got the old diff out, wasnt too hard only part that was a pain was the exhaust as its a single piece after the headers so i didnt bother taking it off, which made getting the tailshaft out time consuming. Not sure if its factory single piece or aftermarket?
    Diff out:

Should have a factory diff in shortly. In the mean time i got started on the interior, stripping back the dash to see what i would need to replace, so far only a few things, but i plan on respraying the entire interior: a black and grey colour scheme (Black were it is currently blue). Ill probaly wait till i get an entire interior ready before i start that, as alot of parts are broken and i dont want to paint them then find better ones. Also im thinking ill update the sound system, i dont know to much about the technical side of audio stuff, however i plan on replacing the factory speakers with after market ones and putting in a nice head-deck. Nothing over the top though as i want the car to still be practical.

Here are some pictures of the dash as it stands now

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Another update, got the new diff yesterday from AIROCOBRA (Cheers mate!), and spent this morning putting that in. Everything went back together and now shes driving! Seeing as i had her out of the shed thought i might take some pictures in the light

Few drops from the diff, so may have missed a spot with the sealant, but thats an easy fix. Otherwise ran well, now the mechanical side is sorted its on to the panels and interior

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

^^ Iam with Tony, I wouldn't buy anything from that guy..... Overpriced old junk

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Another update, lots happening at the moment, got the dash out and begun the repairs on it, sanded it back, then used putty & primer and bogged the cracks:

Thats how it stands at the moment, it will need another sand back, then putty and primer and then i cant give it some colour! Ive done a few test sprays on other pieces and im going to use satin black for the dash and other interior pieces.

Started work on the rear quarter panels aswell, the left side had the paint stripped/sanded/grinded off and all the holes have been counter-sinked, in preparation to be bogged.

The right side how ever didnt turn out well, while grinding it down to the bare metal, if discovered a massive bog job has been done on the majority of the panel. You cant really tell how bad it is in the picture, but its pretty much beyond repair.

Im looking into sourcing a whole rear quarter panel, cutting the old one off and re-welding the new one back on. I think that would be the best bet, i would have to get someone out to do it as i cant weld but i would rather it look like a regular panel than a crumbled beer can. Is there anyone else who has done this, or any alternative ideas?

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

craig from justjdm has a rear quarter cut on his website
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

As I and other local 86 guys who have seen the car have said, yes, the whole panel needs replacing...

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

there is a rolling body for sale on FB in perth l think got sale for 1200 bucks. Has all panels and lot of interior bits might make more sense $$$ wise to maybe get that and swap over parts

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Yes would be good, but im in ACT and it would cost alot more money than i have at the moment to get it here

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Finished the dash this weekend and started on the other interior bits

Sanded the bog back the used putty & primer (covered the cracks really well in the end)

Fresh coat on the dash

Starting on the other bits

Will be buying a welder next week end, so should be more panel work done then.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast