Australia

sure did, but it was more than i was willing to spend

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

$800 was a cheap quote I gave you dude......

Should have done that, rather than now having the bog and bits fall out and having to do it again

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

take the bog off and beat it a bit straighter than that...

Wire brush removes it in no time. Use a plank of wood to push it so it doesn't stretch the metal too much for the big dents and a hammer / spoons for the smaller ones. Get it close then skim it with bog.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Yeah i know that, but thats $800 on top of the price of a panel, and if i were to do that then i might aswell do the other panel as its bogged up aswell, which brings the price up double, and in the end i'd rather just get a strait shell and swap my running gear over, and go all out on a 4age build.

This is car is just going to be a cheap, fun daily till the 4ac dies, then become a donor to a new, better and bigger project.

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Not much has been happening the last couple of weeks, been busy, but most of the interior is back together now, including the rear seats.
    my axle seals and clock surround arrived

Started grinding back the paint on the bonnet, uncovered a fair few minor rust spots, but nothing the grinder couldnt get rid of

also picked up a set of monza buckets

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Not much has been happening the last month or so, picked up a hilux so ive been working on that, however i have done a few things here and there.
    Picked up a new set of overfenders:

Will put these on as soon as i clean up the rear quarter panels.
    Been playing around with the motor, it still leaks like a sieve but im slowing cleaning it up to get it through rego. Also currently have the tank out and there is ALOT of sediment in it, so its going to get cleaned out, unfortunately id just put 8 liters of new fuel in it before i decided i should probably should clean out the old fuel thats been in there for well over a few years.

Also did a bit of a mock up with my wheels and choice of colour to see how it would look, picture isnt the best and everything was dusty when i took it, but i think it will really look good when its all done!

Getting there...very slowly!

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

A fair bit has gone on the last couple of weeks, had a whole bunch of parts arrive so things have picked up a bit. Starting with the motor, because everybody loves a good 4ac story Bought new leads, plugs, rocker cover gasket, dizzy o-ring, dizzy rotor, dizzy cap, battery and slave cylinder as which have been installed minus the slave cylinder. Also pulled out the fuel pump and cleaned it up then re-sealed it to the head. Pretty sure it was the cause of major leak number 3! with the dizzy o-ring fixing major leak number 2. Trying to get the timing/ignition right as of the moment, once its set up properly i should be done with the motor for now.

Picked up some new shocks for the rear so its not so boat like anymore. (note extremely professional exhaust hanger)

So now to paint, i have decided that i dont care about paint, as its expensive and the body work is worse than a blind panel beater's repair work. SO, a quick sand to get rid of the previous rattle can job, so i can apply my own! ...expect it will have some primer and clear

Also went up to sydney and picked up another 4ac plus some factory seats which are better in condition than mine

So thats whats been happening the last few weeks, changed my plans with the car slightly, im no longer going to do an engine conversion on this, instead i will enjoy the cheap and unreliability of my 4ac. im trying to get this done asap now, as i have picked up a mx73 which will be the car i invest a bit of money in, because its cheap as chips and i can get more power for the dollar in it (thinking 1j or 2j). However thats a long way off, for now just trying to get everything painted and back together to i can try and get this thing on the road and enjoy it!

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Lots been happening lately, picked up another 4ac, which had lower km's and is in far better condition than the 4ac that came in the car, so it got swapped out.

Old motor out, removed the brackets for the mounts to put on the newer motor as this had a/c and the newer doesn't (not a luxury im going to give up ). Also swapped the sumps, think i pancaked the new one when i put it on the back of my ute.

Tore the gearbox mount when removing the motor, left a bolt half in the box and when i gave the motor a pull the gear box came with it, so replaced the mount (guessing if it broke that easily it didnt have much life left in it). Also had the box completely out to clean it up, thing was caked in oil residue so im guessing the rear main in the old motor was leaking for a long, long time.

New motor before it went in

New water pump and thermostat went in, then resealed all the cooling components...which took a long time, first time i took to long with the sealant so it already set before it got bolted up, then when i re-did it, i pinched the water pump housing o-ring, so it took a lot longer that it should have and was very frustrating but its all sealed now with no leaks, YAY!
    Motor runs REAL GOOD! Starts first turn of the key and actually idles properly which is a nice change from the old motor Still a few things to do, there is a leak from the back of the motor that only seams to be there when its sitting not running which is new, so still chasing that, a few other intermittent problems that i need to iron out and it will be golden!

Started painting again now its getting a bit hotter, both front guards are done, bonet is just waiting on clear and it will be done too. Quality is nothing special, as its all rattle can by me, so its actually pretty bad hahaha, but i dont really care as it saves me money that i can throw at better stuff in the future.

Sanding the shell currently, nearly done, and then i can start the paint, hopefully mid next week.

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Sanding continues, finished the whole shell, 120/180 grit on the orbital sander then 240 grit by hand before primer.

Didn't really take many pictures after that, but it got primer, base coat then clear. Here is how it is now, very dusty but should get it out of the shed tomorrow to give it a clean and buff.

RH quarter still needs a bit of touching up to have hopes to pass rego. Otherwise the rattle can job turned out ok, bonnet and roof look abit sketchy though, but it will do for now. Also picked up a strut brace which is fitted, camber tops have been adjusted for street driving too. Looking to get two tyres this week for the enkeis to be fitted to the front and then hoping to get some AJPS street springs to drop it down a bit.

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Washed

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast