Thread: Beamin RA65

Name
    aidan
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Default Beamin RA65

Hey all, thought I may as well start a build thread.

Have had a few corollas and ma61 supra and stuff in the past, veered away from Toyota for a bit and had a dodgy stupid ca18det Datsun and a few other cars, but couldn't resist and ended up back here

Decided I'd actually give it a real go of putting together something decent, was on the lookout for something no one has around here (Sydney)

Ended up finding a ra65 celica lift back.

Previous history of the car was an old guy owned it from brand new, was kept really clean and pretty much original, but then the old man when crazy and fitted coil overs to it and some old bbs wheels and boosted the 22re, used to take it to Shannon car shows and what not and was really looked after.

The cars engine later blew up and was sold off cheap, to a person in Sydney who buys and pulls apart and wrecks cars for money.

He had the car up for wrecking, went and had a look at the car, was missing the boot lid, tail lights, side exterior moulds, one front corner light,the whole front suspension and fuel tank, wanted $400 for the rest of the car, it was nice and straight and paint is still good and no rust and a very clean original blue interior , knew I'd never find another one so I just took it and bit my tongue,

Luckily I spoke to one of my friends dan dietritch (Jdm wheels Aus)
    He informed me he had a spare beams 3sge and a rusty sa63 which has all the right conversion bits sitting around, he was planning to use in a celica at one point, I managed to pressure him and he finally gave in, sold me a low km beams with look and ecu and all accessories to me for $1000
    Sold me the running sa63 for $700 but kept the lights and other bits he could see off for some extra money,

So it had been 2 days and I now have a ra65 shell sitting at my brothers place in one garage, and a beams 3sge and sa63 in the garage next to it,

I was originally going to use the w55 box from the sa63 with the beams via a 2y bell housing, I picked one up, only 3 holes lined up to the motor, could get it to fit 4 but wasn't really happy with it, would've had to stuff around with stater motor As well.

Changed my mind, sold the w55 for $500 somehow
    Have purchased a j160 6 speed off Mitch dean in qld and should have it in about a weeks time

So I have engine,crossmember, gearbox, pedal box, clutch master and slave, clutch and flywheel almost ready to go in the car

Picked up s13 turbo front brakes, hubs, coilovers and knuckles today for it, wasn't going to go s13 stuff but I figured it the easiest and cheapest option for now, and will do the job for the time being, will play around with setups once the cars all done and driving,

Will try keep this as updated as I can, plans are to have the beams running and car nice and low on some 14x8/9 mk2 or mk3 with black centres,

Also will get some decent pics of the car when I push it out of shed and wash all dust off it when I'm ready to start putting bits in it at the end of this week,

Here's some shitty pics for now

Btw car does have doors and have put them on, just not in these photos

the sa63 doner car

And the donk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    aidan
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Btw, who has parts

Name
    Lachlan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Forgot you had a spare car! I think I need bits!
    Cut the springs. Lock the diff. Do the dori.

Name
    aidan
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Depends what you need,
    All lights are gone, body is rusted as all fuck, I've taken all conversion type gear

Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Are you replacing the RA65 front gear with S13? If so, what's happening to the RA65 gear?

Name
    aidan
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Not to sure what I'm doing with it,
    Was planning to just keep in the shed incase, but if your after anything let me know and make an offer

Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Took our suspension parts conversation to PM.

I've seen some of these photo's on bookface I think, keen to follow this progress as I almost did a trip to Sydney to get this RA65

Name
    aidan
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Yeah car was up for wrecking, wanted something you don't see many of, so went and saved it the day it went to go to scrap

Name
    aidan
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Btw here's a picture of what it was like back before it went into wrecking, had auto 22re booted in it with s13 suspension,

Old guy owned it, was really looked after, gotta try find a nice clean hatch to match rest of the body