Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Default What welder to buy?

Hey Guys,
    After a welder to do mostly touch up jobs, but want something that will be able to panel work as i have major panel work to do i my 86.

I was think MIG would be the best bet, i cant afford to spend more than $500 max, so ive picked out a few i think would do the job and want to know if they are good brands/will do the job etc.

The bunnings one is alot cheaper but its only $120amp which i dont think will handle panel work? any other suggestions would be great!

Ive go little experience with welding hence this post

Cheers!

Site Supporter
    Name
    Tony
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Save up a little more and buy a quality welder. If it is for panel repairs any amperage will do, but you want one with good adjustment so you don't blow holes in things.

you can get ones that pulse and that too which are useful, but not essential.

140amps can still do 6mm steel welds in a single pass, if you're wanting to tig as well buy a second machine for tig as those 3:1 machines are generally not good at any function

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Agree with the post above, if you buy a good welder it will stay with you for life if you maintain it properly. And tbh sure it might cost you $1000-1500 depending on what you buy.

Getting good quality gas (not those disposable bottles) will also help lay quality beads. I found ditching the standard clamp and replacing it with a magnet helped make better contact for me.

Most panel repairs are < 1mm thick anyway so you won't need a high powered welder.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Fair enough, the thing is though, at the moment i cant justify spending more as i would only be using it now and then,
    however if i were to spend more would brand/specs would you recommend?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just look around. You can find excellent three phase welders for almost nothing as most people don't have three phase ie smaller market, and harder to sell. I picked up a nice 350 amp 3 phase cigweld for a steal last year. Just keep looking, if you buy used, look for something that pre dates the digital control as they have more service life.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Migomag, lincoln, kempi are the ones that'll last a life time.

Second hand off ebay can be worth it as well.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Have to agree with the above posts except for the one about a 140 amp Mig welder will weld 6mm plate, it will weld but you wont have good Weld penetration of the 6mm plate & it would break apart easily, but I'm guessing you wont need to weld 6mm plate ..

Dont use gasless wire, either rent the bottle or there is a crowd called Power10 gases that actually sells the bottles new & arê the full size ones not the pissy disposable bottles ..

I would be looking at good older, but quality Second hand Machines with amperage range up to about around the 200 amp range & you should be able to pick up a good used one for around the same price if not less than the New cheap Chinese ones your looking at ..
    Last edited by Lexsmaz; 12th April 2015 at 12:24 AM. Reason: found the correct name of the gas supplier

Name
    Tore Daniel
    State
    Norway
    Country
    Norway

I`m using a Rilon Mig200G and its great for pretty much anything I need to weld, panel work/engine mounts/frame work etc.
    You might have a problem finding one though!