Thread: The speeding cockroach

Name
    Gareth
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default The speeding cockroach

Well now i've started pulling this insect infested mess apart I best begin a build thread!!

So after whetting my appetite for participating in drift days/weekends last year with the ae86dc meets at raleigh I decided it time for a dedicated track build. I do love my current rig, being an MX83 cressida running a vvti 1j and some goodies. Oddly enough i actually bought the cressida as a stock BHG off these very forums a few years back!

So the desire was for something lighter and perferably not a silvia, and along came this beauty (not beauty)

Im sure there's people on here who might remember the car, by the seems it was kicking around in QLD some years ago and has some good bits and pieces. Coilovers, wheels 4age etc.

Plans at this stage, 4age and t50 came out today, T series comes out tomorrow and are being sold. When the Cressida sells ill be looking at organising engine/driveline fitment, still super undecided on what to go, sr20det, 3rz+t, LS1, grubby old ecotec, who knows!!

Anyways, ill do my best to keep things on here up to date as I go.

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Why not give the 4a a go before you pull it out?
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Just go a 4age bottom end with a ecotec head.......

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Go alloytech instead of eco. I'm surprised someone hasn't done one already as they weigh about the same as an sr20, though if you need a timing chain it is about $500 in bits and and 1200 in labour. They are also interference too.

But a for a v6 quad cam motor they aren't bad.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Gareth
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Started wiring the 4a up initially Johl but decided instead to focus on selling the cressida and being in a better spot financially to tackle a reasonable build. I am however being persuaded by some people (max haggard) that the only way forward these days is with ecotec.

Matt I've been sussing out alloytec but can't seem to find anything on the net about deletion of vats and the bcm so potentially would need aftermarket ecu. That said there's people making over 400rwhp with them on stock bottom ends n/a. Plus engines are cheap and plentiful if they explode!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

People who do the LS2/3 deletion will be able to do the alloytec ones as well as they are effectively the same. $ideshow performance wiring up in qld offered to do a LS2 loom for me for about $600 and delete the vats as well.

I'm just concerned about the weight of the ecotec being too much and making it handle like arse.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Haha. I say lots of things..... Haha

Site Supporter
    Name
    Tony
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Don't ruin a good ae86 with a common whore motor

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

+10

Name
    Gareth
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Cheers for the input guys. While I see everyones interest in keeping things non-commonwhore, I need to weigh up the benefits of a torquey engine setup, already setup for rwd, with readily available parts at pretty much any wrecking yard in Australia. That said it's looking more and more like I won't go down the road of an alloytec. I'm also looking at 1/2gr-fe and 1mz so we will see how that goes.

Ecu wise, alloytec unfortunately don't have the same microprocessor as the ls series engine, they are Bosch instead of Delphi so can't be tuned or altered in the same way as ls engines from what I've read so far. Would be interested to know if someone has cracked more than just the vats in them tho!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast