Thread: Another Canberra Levin

Name
    Shawn
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Default Another Canberra Levin

Thought been that I've owned my 86 for over 3 months it might be time to start a threqd

The beginning

A mate mentioned someone local was looking to sell an ae86 shell for a fairly cheap price, I didn't think to much of it at the time (having the Chaser pulled apart again, the thought of another car hadn't really come up.)

A week or so later I mentioned it to my wife in passing and too much surprise she actually went "well if it's something your interested in worth having a look at it".

So I decided stuff it no harm in going round and having a look. Contacted the guy and arragned to go over Christmas eve, my initial impression wasn't good, but the more I looked over it the more potential I saw. Ended up making an offer just under what he was asking and the seller said he would have a think about it and get back to me that night or first thing the next day. No call back, okay Christmas day no worries wait till boxing day, still nothing, tried calling and texting etc. got a bit pissed off (if you don't like my offer just say so, don't be a fuckwit and not answer or return calls).

By the 27th I gave up on the bloke and decided to have a bit of a look around at other ones (the bug had bit) thinking most would be way out of my price range (seen some going for like 18k!). Then I came across this little beauty going for 8k in wollongong with 10 months rego and a 4agze in great condition (overall stock but good nick).

Decided the cost to get the shell up to the same condition as this one would be a lot more then just buying this one anyway. So I gave the guy a call and had a really good chat with him about the car, initial D and other toyota topics, we settled on a price and a few days later we jumped in the mazda and headed off to wollongong.

Stopped at Robertson pie shop - not as good as I was expecting, drove down Macquarie pass, that road is epic! If you haven't driven it and you get the chance definitely take it!!! We than hit up the beach and did some shopping in Wollongong before picking up the car.

She came with a welded diff so it was quite amusing hearing it pull into the underground carpark, lots of squealing!! The seller was a really good bloke and ran me through pretty much all the finer details of it, swapped cash for keys and I got my self an 86. Decided to take the highway up to picton and back along to Canberra from there. Wish we didn't it was quite annoying compared to Macquarie pass and took a lot long too, was just concerned not knowing the car the last thing I wanted was for it to break down going up the mountain.

Still had some fun on the highway though and was rather surprised how much get up the little 4AGZE has, I originally wanted a 20V but have the supercharged now I think it would be really hard to switch to N/A, but anyway on to the car.

It a 1983 ADM
    4AGZE
    Body and initerior in good nick (except for Dash Crack and a little bit of rust around rear wheel arches)
    Motec M4 ecu
    Walbro fuel pump
    Rest is pretty much stock

Initial plans

Replace welded diff with stock diff for now.
    Fix Rust
    Lowering
    New wheels (torn between genuine or reps, I know I know, Offsets etc. suck in the genuines I've come across and so god damn exxy! So undecided)

More to follow

Name
    Shawn
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Here are some pics from when I got her

Name
    Shawn
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Haven't done to much to it since, fitted some sw20 seats, I swapped the Mount over on the drivers seat and it's great, need to do something about the passenger seat though.

Also built a parcel shelf for it, my wood work skills actually served me better then I expected, pretty stoked with the outcome. Just need to carpet the plastics either side.

Exterior wise, I switched to a kouki grill, wasn't sure if I was a fan at first but it's grown on me, I plan to tint the grill a bit darker and I think that will set it off

Also purchased a oem zenki lip but haven't got around to fitting it yet

Next step is still to replace the diff with a t series, I replaced the welded diff with an open centre but it's still making those lovely whuwhuwhu noises, possibly just bearings but could be a bent axle or a drum issue so I just want to replace the whole thing and be done with it.
    Last edited by darkon; 11th April 2015 at 08:18 PM.

Name
    Steve
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Parcel shelf looks good

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Looks like a really clean street car. Please don't but knockoff wheels. You can pick up nice second hand genuine for the same price.
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Shawn
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Yeah ideally I'll go genuine, just have to see whats available when I've got some a spare 1k or so.