Name
    Paul
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

Default Advice for a newbie

Hey Everyone

Paul Gal here nice to meet you all. Cut a long story short i have been a on/off lurker on this forum for about 8 years.

About 8 years ago i owned an aus delivered ae86. It was a real piece of poo, 4ac carby but had suspension done. Truth is i loved it to bits, lots of fun.

Sold that to travel, drove a few bombs around then finally purchased a gts 86, Nice car but a little to small and not real practical. Sold that and now drive a 2011 Sti. Great car.

However i often day dream about the old ae86 and finding a nice patch of dirt ( didnt have enough power for tar ) and doing donuts lol

Im seriously considering buying another ae86 as abit of a weekender. Truth is i dont no jack about cars... i use to change my own oil but thats my limit.

I need advice on a few things,

1 - Im thinking of buying something with abit of work done all ready. Whats your advice on making sure the car is in good nick?

2 - Whats your thoughts on this car? anyone know anything about it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well where do you begin with a question like that...

The best thing you can do is get someone who is a mechanic / has a good understanding to with you when you look at the car. There are allot of good folk on here who would be willing to go check out an ae86 with you. Especially if they get to test drive it.

I'll break down what i look for into 2 categories

Mechanical

The obvious ones here are
    * does the diff / gearbox whine, is there any unusual noises from the motor.
    * When the front is jacked up, any play in the steering (wobble the wheel left to right 3:00 - 9:00) and up down and on 45 degree angles (it shouldn't have any play)
    * Are the bushes cracked / torn
    * Clutch does it slip , noises with the clutch in that go away when u let it out / vice versa.
    * Engine mounts in good condition ( hold foot on break, and let the clutch out and push it back in just before it stalls) engine shouldn't rock too excessively
    * Ideally a compression / leak down test would indicate the health of the motor, but not every one will let you do that.
    * Oil leaks shouldn't be seen.
    * A good engine conversion will look factory, if you see wires going everywhere or things that look out of place i'd pass on the car.

Body

Obvious ones are rust holes, people can bog it up to make it look good and give a quick respray. Rust in the sprinters is most commonly found
    * EVERYWHERE, around windscreen, below tail lights, spair wheel well, roof above doors, firewall, b pillar ( where door shuts) and around the rear 1/4 glass and hatch
    Placing a magnet on the car is a good way to detect bog.
    * Bubbles in paint is rust

* Open and shut the doors, they should close easily without having to slam them
    Look for the gap between the doors / guards, it should be even. Same with the bonnet / boot.

Hope that gives you a starting point.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

That car you linked looks pretty good from pics