Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: distributor problem

Name
    adam
    State
    sydney
    Country
    australia

yea, i am pretty sure the msd unit works by retarding the timing only.

from pages i have read you are supposed to set maximum advance using the dizzy and then retard the timing down to say 10 degrees at idle.

maximum retard on the msd is 24 degrees.
    but with no retard set (as i didnin the video) i would assume using the distributor i should be able to get the crank marking on the 0 degree or atleast 10 degree marking.

i tried msd tech support but they are unhelpful.

Name
    Mike
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

So you're unable to get the 10 degrees you're after?

I actually had this problem on a stocker. With the dizzy installed properly it was physically impossible to get base 10 degrees with the diagnostics port jumpered (or not for that matter).

I found that somehow the triggering teeth had rotated on the shaft. The teeth are just press fit on the shaft for big port AE82 dizzy's at least. I was able to get a shifter onto the flat of the shaft after taking the rotor off and could turn it enough to get it where I wanted it.

Fixed the problem!

I'd set it all to TDC 1, make sure the cams are lined up and then turn that sucker until the teeth and rotor line up properly to get sparking for cylinder 1.

Name
    adam
    State
    sydney
    Country
    australia

in this photo is tdc looking into the distributor, the marking on the wheel at the back doesnt line up with anything.
    could you please steer me in the right direction

Name
    adam
    State
    sydney
    Country
    australia

Name
    james
    State
    oxford
    Country
    England

Looking at the picture the big black sensor has a thin metal bar and this should line up with one of the four pointers when at TDC. Find TDC compression on number 1 cylinder and then line up the sensor bar with the closest pointer, turn the distributor to do this. Make sure that the rotor arm is pointing to number one cylinder once aligned. If you cannot get the pointers to align then the distributor is a tooth out. When the pointer passes the bar a voltage is produced.
    Timing it as above will give zero advance, adjust with a timing light to suit.
    Also check that your bottom pulley is in good shape and not allowing the timing ring to turn independently of the crank pulley.

Name
    Mike
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Yep, he's right, that star should point to that little bar in the middle of the black box.

If you're going to do what I did, make sure everything is lined up. Before I ended up moving things in the dizzy I tripple checked everything. I put a screwdriver down the #1 plug hole to make sure the timing marks on the pulley were right. Then, make sure the intake cam dimple is in the right spot and check that the timing gear dimples line up with the marks on the back timing cover for both intake and exhaust.

I'm sure you've done all this, but I don't want you creating another problem.

Install the dizzy and make sure that the alignment marks are in the right spot when you're putting it in and check that the rotor is in roughly the right spot.

I'd also recommend marking the dizzy with where the #1 lead pickup is so that you can see exactly where the rotor needs to point for #1 without the dizzy cap there. Also adjust the dizzy so it's bolted in roughly in the middle of it's adjustment range so you've got a bit of space to play with.

If you're confident that everything is in the right spot then adjust a big shifter (I used a 12" shifter) so that it's over the flat on the dizzy shaft and turn it so that the star points to that bar (roughly) and the rotor is pointing to your #1 TDC marking that you've put on the dizzy body. Mine was firm to turn, but not ridiculously so. If you have to really put your weight into it I'd probably stop, the shifter will have a bit of grip, but not a lot.

Put it back together, fire it up and see how close you get to the timing you want. If you run out of range, pull it apart, note where it is, move the base and then move the star to where it was before in relation to the pickup.

It might take a few trys. If you've got a decent mobile or camera, take photos along the way so you know exactly what you have and where you've gone.

Good luck! Let us know if you need any points clarified.

Name
    adam
    State
    sydney
    Country
    australia

thank you for your input guys, i know exactly what your talking about and will have a fool around with it tonight.

Name
    Mike
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Good luck

Name
    Rob
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

When i almost went for msd unit ,the lock out means you set your timing at 34-35 degrees at idle .

The msd unit then retards the timing at idle by 23=24 degrees,so you actually plot a retard graph through the rev range .

I found the scorcher distributor far easyer and about the same money.

The msd would certainly more tuneable .I cant remember they being any mechanical advance in the distibutor .

rob
    Last edited by corollaart; 22nd May 2016 at 08:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2