Name
    George
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Koni Yellow Coil-over Conversion Kit + Swift Springs

Hi. . . .

OK; I know this is an AE86 thread so I'll fess up now - this post is regarding my JDM AE92 but hopefully the information is applicable to you guys as well. . .

I would welcome information / comments from anyone that has undertaken a Coil-over Conversion on Koni Yellows in regards to the cheapest place I can buy a kit (or failing that where I can buy it) and same for Swift springs. . .

I'm currently wearing Koni Yellows + Whiteline lowering springs. AFAIK rates are ~ 6.5kg/mm @ front and ~ 5kg/mm at rear. Car sits about 30-35 mm lower at front & 25 mm at back. This setup is great on the track; where I can easily induce over steer and drift the thing but after 5+ years I'm over it - it's just too harsh for Sydney roads.

I've spent quite a few hours researching what springs would give me a close to OEM ride but retain the roll control / handling of the Whitelines.

I considered OEM replacement lowering springs like Eibach, H&R and relatively cheap Japan sourced Espelir or RS-R Ti2000's; which have similar rates to TRD's at about 3.5kg/mm (F) & 3.1 / 2.6 KG/MM (R) respective. These would be the easiest solution but I'm worried I'd then lose the flatness & fast steering response I've got now.

Having said that I'd like to be able to do the (very) occasional track day w/o having to disassemble the suspension & swap back to current springs every time so am also considering a Coil-over conversion for my existing Koni struts.

Note: I'm not interested in buy-as-is coil-overs with Chinese / Korean / Taiwanese shocks so any such suggestions will be politely passed to reject folder. . . .

One product in particular seems to have been given a universal thumbs-up as coming closest to having my cake & eating it > Swift springs. . . . Which is the other reason I'm interested in the Koni Coilover Kit.

AFAIK Swift OEM replacement springs are only available for a select variety of chassis (certainly not the trusty ol' AE92) but their range of linear-rate coil-over springs however is much greater and AFAIK does include an AE92 compatible spring.
    Last edited by GeeEss; 20th November 2015 at 12:13 AM.

Name
    George
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Wow answering my own post; and at this time - how sad / OCD. . .

Ground Control / USA offer a solution but it seems they only supply kit with Eibach springs so it looks like I'll have to fork out extra for the Swift's. . .