Thread: NSW to SA - Car inspection (for SA lads).

Name
    Francis
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default NSW to SA - Car inspection (for SA lads).

Hi all,
    I have purchased an AE71 corolla with 4AGE, cams, coils, exhaust, cams etc etc from NSW.
    The plan was to shell swap it an existing low km KE70 that I have, but the AE71 is cleaner than the KE70.

The AE71 is still registered with the 4AGE in NSW, looking at the DPTI website I know I need a Tier 2 ID Inspection.
    I am based down south, so looking at taking it through the Lonsdale depo.
    Has anyone tried to take a car like this through a Tier 2 ID Inspection with out MR7 or MR620 form completed? (application for modifications).

What I can see myself getting picked up for...
    -Car idles between 800-1100rpm, i.e. cams make it lumpy.
    -No cat on the exhaust (does have weld over one that looks half legit from underneath).
    -Ride height, lower than standard. Just rolling on stock wheels at the moment.

Essentially I am seeing if its worth trying to take the car through like this? And if anyone has taken a 4AGE xE7x through ID inspection with luck??
    Or if I should just go straight down the engineering path for this.

Thanks in advance for your assistance all!

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hello. ID check is not a roadworthy inspection. If the numbers match the previous rego papers and neither the chassis nor the engine number are red flagged (as stolen / written off) you shouldn't have a problem. That doesn't mean you can't be defected for an engine swap, emissions noncompliance or whatever the copper feels like later though.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Francis
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

thanks javal,
    have only had to go through regency to clear a defect once and the guy doing the inspection seemed pretty switched on.
    the tier 2 ID check states that besides checking chassis and engine number that it will involve a 'basic safety check', wasnt sure if this was similar to my regency trip or not.

so should be fine to get ID checked, off to motor rego to register car in SA, and then it is up to me to engineer from there?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hmm, that may well be the case. I would be going to the vehicle identity inspection station at Regency park - even though it's further away for you, they have a separate facility for doing the ID checks (about 400m away from where they do the roadworthy inspections) which may or may not help. I would also be spending a little time and money doing everything I could to clean it up so as not give them a reason to dick you.

In theory the process would be the reverse, you'd MR620, get an SoR:VM for the vehicles current mods, get an ID check and roady. Then you'd get a certificate of exemption. But that can mean a lot of time off the road. Have a read of this:
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Francis
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

thanks again for the reply mate, have had a read of your engineering process post already too. good read!

may just roll the dice and see if i get through as is, its all a neat conversion. either way i need to get it engineered for insurance etc.
    if it gets through as is, i will be able to drive it around on SA rego while going through the engineering process

Name
    Will
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I went through the tier 2 inspection then a road worthy a few weeks back. They'll pick up obvious things at the tier 2 like coil overs etc, your best bet is to make everything look as factory as possible and you'll cruise through it. They nearly let me pass with coilovers but I my car didn't have a import compliance plate, so I had to go through for a road worthy.

Name
    Francis
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks s3phro. Good to get some recent feedback too.
    Have sent a few questions to your PM.