Name
    Dim
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default 3D Print AE86 Parts

Hi all,

In this week's Aldi specials there was a 3D printer available for $500. They were also selling the raw materials needed for printing.

Given that there's more availability for regular folks to do rapid design and prototyping of parts, are there any AE86 enthusiasts putting together databases of 3D models to replace interior plastics and other pieces that could be made with this technology?

Are there any AE86 parts that are able to be 3D printed at all?

D

Name
    Jamie
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

No idea on the printers, but I work in the modeling industry and have the software to create a point cloud and subsequent model of a part easy enough.
    Maybe I need to start logging some parts!

We should kick a thread off and give instructions for people to take photos of a part and I can model and post on a public free for use spot in the forum.
    I think with project car things there is enough expense already and if we as a group can work together to model some parts that we have laying around, it may help future proof a few of the harder to get ones.

Also if anyone knows of how to get any cad files of parts Toyota may already have floating around and we can put them somewhere.

Just a thought....

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Be nice to print some brake brackets to test upgrades before having them made.

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Great ideas all round. Check this thread on another forum which has been going for a considerably longer time (see next post)
    Big up's for the North East Massiv'
    NSATB - New Skids Around The Block

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Big up's for the North East Massiv'
    NSATB - New Skids Around The Block

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

3D printing is cool, but I think often the hype overtakes the practicality. Given the size limitations and speed of the cheap melted plastic gun printers there aren't many car parts I could think of that I would bother with. Also you need to spend a bit of time learning how to set your parameters and tune your slicer so that the prints actually work.

A friend has a few cheap printers and he has made some usefull stuff, like a GPS mount bracket for his bike and some nice little stackable fuse holders for automotive fuses. But he has also spent huge amounts of time fiddling with them and drawing in CAD.

So while I reckon they're fun to play with they would have very limited real use in the garage. Given how quickly they are progressing though it may be a whole different story in a couple of years.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I would love to learn how to draw the 3D models. With abs materials and things like that available now it's a viable option to make small interior plastics or clips. My first experience with them saw the cup holder melt on the first hot day

What software do you use to draw the models?

As for a part to kick things off 1/4 glass window clips. New from Toyota will set u back around $400
    Last edited by Matt; 3rd March 2016 at 08:15 AM.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

And definitely I'm keen to host them available for download as I am really getting annoyed at what some people are trying to charge for what should be a $10 part
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I just paid a little over 200 for 1/4 glass clips new from a Jap ebay seller. Id say that makes them cheap enough not to bother 3d printing, because you really need the little rubber seals too and you cant print those.

I see its place being a test mule for mass produced parts for mechanical systems or adaptation of them from one place to another, or for designing and testing new machines, its not about making anything you want to last at this time.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

You need some form of CAD software to draw things up. I use Solidworks on a daily basis, it can do literally everything you can imagine, but costs stupid amounts. There's also a bunch of free/cheap software that's often more fiddly to use, but OK. Can't think of any names of them currently, but I'm sure Google or 3D print forums can point you in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast