Thread: 20v st 4000rpm 'ignition cut' (or something) now not firing on no.1 cyl

Name
    underwood
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

Default 20v st 4000rpm 'ignition cut' (or something) now not firing on no.1 cyl

yo, thanks in advance.

About a month ago my stock 20v started being a bitch (every now n then).. pulls hard (normal amount of pull for a st) to 4000 then just cuts out like ignition is cut or something (is what it feels like). It also wont let me rev it until its returned to idle rpm after said ign cut, then will rev fine to 4000, Load doesn't seem to mater as it will do it in free rev.

On Sunday I was driving it parked to go to the shops, came back to the car and it wouldn't start.. after a minute of trying it did start but was only running on a few cylinders 2 or 3 not sure. I turned it off had a look, couldn't see anything obvious. when i closed the bonnet and started it, it ran sweet except the 4000 issue changed to random rpm issue.

The strange part is it goes away and comes back, previous to Sunday the 4000rpm issue would come n go, one day/time i could rev it to red line, another time she'd cut out at 4000. After the Sunday experience, i was dickin around with it for about 2 hours with it only running on 3 cylinders then she randomly started running sweet, i drove it down the street n back sweet but when i hit 4000 it started running like a bitch on 3 cylinders.

Now the car wont fire at all on no.1 cyl. Ive changed the leads n plugs, dizzy cap looks ok to me so does the button. Its only no.1 cyl thats no firing.

I have a feeling it might be a dizzy issue just wanted to get peoples feedback.

cheers,
    Mitch
    Last edited by 350hp4agte; 24th February 2016 at 10:18 PM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

What is your management? Do you have a cold rev limit and is your temp sensor faulty? A faulty sensor can throw incorrect data and your compensation tables can screw you around while driving or your cold rev limit might apply at random. Have you logged any of the negative events? Whats the ecu temp saying? Just a long shot, a mate of mine had some issues we traced back to a faulty temp sensor. Stock ecu, fault codes?

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

check the ecu for leaky caps n shit like that.

What does the first cyclinder spark plug look like? Trying to work out if fuel or spark issue
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners