Thread: Introduction + help me!! Brain (miata) or heart (AE86)?

Name
    Alessio
    State
    Italy
    Country
    Italy

Default Introduction + help me!! Brain (miata) or heart (AE86)?

Hi everyone, I'm Alessio and I'm from Italy. I'm 20 and i dream about 86s since i'm 17...
    The fact is simple. I love the AE86, I would really like to have one but i have to face the reality that probably I can't.

On one side there is the HachiRoku, which would cost 16.000+. It will be hard to find parts and I will pay them 30-50% more for shipping.
    On the other side there is the smiling NA, which i could find at 3000-6000 depending on conditions. Parts won't be that problematic but it still won't be properly easy.

With the 86, being 30+years old, I shouldn't pay the annual tax and would cost only 220€ to insure. Thats nothing!
    The miata otherwise would cost around 200 for taxes and 5-800 for insurance.

I like them both but the 86 is a dream and the miata is more like a compromise, something i like but i like the other one more...

The 86 is more pratical with 4 seats and more space. I usually don't like roadsters, so everything goes to the 86... but can i afford it?

Now i have 7000 (a bit more than a year of work, and i have bought different parts for my bike too), i could go out and buy a miata. Or i could wait some months, ask for a 10.000 bank loan and then pay 200-250 each month for 5-6-7 years...

What should i do?

Name
    bazz
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

I have both. Nb8b and a mechanically restored Jdm Trueno. The Miata is better in most ways. It's stiffer chassis. It has double wishbone front and rear (compared to macpherson and live axel). Miata parts are everywhere. And cheap.
    The ae86 parts are very expensive. So even though the running costs might be cheap if anything goes wrong or if you want to do ang mods you will be paying a lot more.
    In the end, I always enjoy driving my ae86 more. Not sure if it's nostalgia or due to the looks.
    So if it's a car on a budget for daily and occasional track then get a Miata. If your happy to improve your ae86 slowly. And spend a lot of your time and money to improve it. Then get the ae86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Alessio
    State
    Italy
    Country
    Italy

Thank you for the reply, i don't mind improving it slowly. I think if i'll buy the 86 it will be my only car in my life (if everything goes well obviously), i'm a really weird enthusiast. I don't want to own a lot of cars, i don't even want to drive other cars except mine, whatever it is. I think i'm a bit more "passionate" with it...
    The miata otherwise, i could think to swap it for an FD3S, which i like even more than the 86, but i want an 86. That car has something special.

I don't know what i will do with my car, i just want to drive, learn and improve my skills, i don't need a daily since i live at 2 miles/3km from where i work. I have a motorcycle which could do up to 25/30 km/l (60-70mpg).
    Even if i buy the miata I will love it (her?) and i will be happy, but it still isn't an 86...

The 86 won't be cheaper as running costs because there are those 200x12 to pay the loan... But if i have been able to save 500€ each month i should be able to cover the loan payment...

I think i have already chosen but i want someone to say me it's not the right thing to do. I hate myself.

Name
    Alessio
    State
    Italy
    Country
    Italy

I'm back with more doubts. Recently an importer put on sale a Panda Trueno (freshly imported from japan) with less than 30.000 miles, with only some interior mods but almost stock. They want 20k.
    20k is a lot of money, especially if you think that with 5k you can have a nice NA miata, with 16 a nice wrx or a dc2 and a lot of far better cars, like an fc3s for 9k or an fd3s for 15k.
    I'll probably have to save money for another year and a half and by that time prices could skyrocket faster than i can save money. I can't ask a loan for another 1 year and a half because of my job contract (apprentice).

Would you pay 16-20k for an AE86?
    Would you wait 2 years not knowing if by that time you could buy the car?
    Remember that they haven't been sold in Italy so they are all imported from europe or japan and are pretty rare.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

You only live once, buy the car you want and make it into what you want and don't worry about the $$$$$
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Alessio
    State
    Italy
    Country
    Italy

I'll print that sentence and put it where i can see it often, nice words! The fact that i want one is a good reason to have one. Thank you!

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Na6/8 is a better car but thats not the point. Like most things everything has its pro's and cons, point is if your hearts set on a ae86 then get one, prices will only go up, if you decide it wasnt a good choice you'll get your money back.