Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 4age Blacktop swap, bogging / hesitating badly

Name
    Tan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like you are running out of things to check... For electronics, you can use a multimeter and download the Blacktop FSM which will show you how to diagnosis sensor equipment and check they are within specs.

Confirm wiring is done properly? Maybe the Injectors are getting constant ground and not grounded by ECU through #1, #2, #3, #4?

Name
    Vlad
    State
    Sacred Valley
    Country
    Peru

I have the same problem on my 16valve, but only when hot. Occasionally the idle drops and it will stall if not held up by the accelerator, and it just dies if I try to driveaway. It runs fine when cold or warming up. I have my mixture display hooked up and it leans out when idling (as normal) but doesn't richen back up to drive away.

I took the fuel return line off and ran it into a bottle to check if it had fuel pressure in the rail, as it just feels like it has run out of fuel, & I was surprised how much flowed out in a few seconds. I figure if you do that it means there is plenty of fuel available for the motor to rev.

I figure it could be the TPS, maybe the fuel delivery to the main pump, maybe the oxy sensor. ..and the Toyota advice of last resort, 'try another ECU'..

If it was an air leak the ECU would compensate for it via the oxy sensor and the idle would go up. Does the 20valve have the vac line on the fpr that acts as an accelerator pump to get it reving?

Name
    Tan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Finished my swap as well and I have a very similar problem after I worked out all the kinks...

Here are my symptoms:
    * Disconnected VVT - drives nicely very smooth etc
    * Connected VVT - Bogs WOT under 2500 causes blogging...feels like turbo spool...really this shouldn't be happening for a NA, VVT or not!

Car does feel alot more potent with VVT on but it just doesn't drive smoothly. I am suspecting it must be the VVT gear itself then in that its crapping itself on engagement? Problem is VVT disconnected everything runs smoothly which means my sensors should be in take and Base timing set to 10deg.

Checked
    * TPS
    * ISCV
    * STA wiring
    * O2 Sensor
    * ECU Caps & VVT Transitor
    Last edited by tuned86; 3rd July 2016 at 06:48 PM.

Name
    Graham
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I’ve tried disconnecting the VVT but there was no noticeable difference in throttle response. There are a few things that are really bugging me at the moment:

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Intake backfire makes me think you're 360 degrees out of phase with your cam timing 720 cycle or firing order perhaps igniting on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke or something. On my setup the only time I saw this was when i working out the correct triggering phase and was igniting things out of phase and firing order.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

and your firing order would seem to support this as it should fire 1342 stock and sam qs kit probably wont change that. With your 3124 you are cylinder swapped within phases compared to stock if you catch my drift. Maybe Im confused.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 4th July 2016 at 03:59 PM.

Name
    Graham
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default 4age Blacktop swap, bogging / hesitating badly

With the SQ kit the rotor effectively spins in reverse so the order on the cap becomes 1-2-4-3 to achieve a 1-3-4-2 firing order (i.e. leads 2 and 3 are swapped). On my setup, with the motor at TDC on cylinder 1 the rotor points at the post for cylinder 3 (i.e. swapped lead 1 with 3 and lead 2 with 4).

I've re-checked the timing marks three times and everything is where it should be. I definitely didn't spin the crank a full rotation when I changed the timing belt either.

The strange thing is that it starts and idles perfectly, it only gives any sign of a problem under sudden throttle. Did yours backfire when it was running or only when you were trying to get it started?
    Last edited by gjgnz; 4th July 2016 at 04:40 PM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Mine never back fires now its tuned and running unless my tps frags out from a ground loop im chasing and gives me a puff of fuel I dont want on decel or I have the transient enrich too high and when I back off there is unburnt fuel to explode in the exhaust.

If its just at low rpm maybe you're throttles are badly out of sync. Have you ever downloaded the manual and checked their adjustment with the feeler gauges, I did recently and it was a revelation about how nice and low a motor could idle down low and pull from low rpm with itbs. Get your hands on some sync gauges and see ho much vacuum each port has. Pull your plugs if they have uneven air available then one might be foulded while another looks lean while another looks normal.

Otherwise if its only happening at low revs when you give it some decent throttle then those are the conditions that a 20v should be applying the vvt advance, so your test with and without vvt becomes compelling.

Does the rotor button only go in one way? maybe its backwards? Spinning backwards to the norm is one thing but starting on cylinder three is odd even if it spins the other way, surely it would still start at one and go 1243 like you say?

Name
    Graham
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Made some progress today. It turns out it is possible to install the dizzy kit incorrectly by putting the locating pins in the wrong slot in the cam gear:

Effectively the rotor was about 120 degrees off where it should be. I've fixed that and the firing order is now as it should be.

The car seems to run a bit better now but it's still got a decent hesitation and can feel like it wants to die if you give it WOT. No difference with or without VVT connected.
    Last edited by gjgnz; 9th July 2016 at 08:46 PM.

Name
    Tan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I had hesitation from Low rpm to 2-3000 RPM if I was on WOT.

It was fixed after I tried a few things but I suspect the biggest culprit was running open trumpets - too much air at low rpm caused hesitation.
    Things I did:

* Install pendulum (was getting RWC at the time)
    * Cleaned OCV
    * Ran the car for awhile so ECU could learn/trim

I'll be able to confirm this the exact cause later. Anyone else have problems running open trumpets using stock ECU?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast