Thread: Help ID these tailshafts please

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Help ID these tailshafts please

Hi, I'm clearing up some old parts and I found these hanging on my wall. Cannot remember for the life of me what they are from, but it could be ra65, jdm ae86, adm ae86, ke70 auto or manual, ae71, t18, I'm not really sure.

Hoping someone can suggest what they might be so I can move them on to an appropriate owner or waste receptacle.

Photos below:

The more surface rusted one is a thicker tube, has the cutaway flange plate at the diff pinion end and a 38mm diameter nose to insert in the gearbox seal. Its about 1290mm long if you hook the tape on the diff flange, hold it square, then measure to the front edge of the seal protector cup near the spline. The nose protrudes another 80mm so total length tip to tip is 1370mm. its got the splittable 4 bolt pattern in the middle, and the rear section is 763mm flange to flange. Its got decent unis, still tight with a hint of notchiness, but no play in any of them, even though it looks worse its a better unit. No other marks or particular identifiers I noticed aside from a fairly recently added balance weight wired on. The flange at the diff has a 4x55 pattern. The mid pattern is also 4x55. 21 splines in the snout.

The black one with good paint is a skinnier tube. Has a round diff end flange with 50x60 pattern. The thing doesn't unbolt. Its got a 32mm diameter nose to insert in the tranny. Its about 10 times more rooted despite looking clean. Unis are sloppy, if somebody could use it it would only be to reuse the flange and spline ends to make a one piece. its got a blue strip around it and some yellow stamped manufacturing marks. The thing measures 1263mm from flange to protector cup front edge, plus an 86mm protrudung spline so 1349 or 1350 length overall. 22 splines in the snout.

Anyone have some ideas or able to compare to a known unit they have lying around?

Splines:

ID marks on the skinnier black one:

End flanges:

Mid flanges and Centre bearings:

Overall view:

Spline ends:
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 22nd March 2016 at 10:00 AM.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

The non-square bolt pattern on the rooted tailshaft suggests that it is RA65 (or other less Corolla thing). All the S and T diffs I've seen have had a square pattern, but I've bumped into an F before that wasn't square.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The rusty looking one with the cutaway flange is the good one. Its unis are better.

The skinnier one with better paint is the rooted one.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, I got myself confused there. The non-square diff flange bolt pattern stilll seems mysterious though.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ive encountered it before, obviously, lol, but I cant remember from whence it came.