Cip
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States

Default Car won't start question

Hey everyone i have an issue here with my blacktop on my 86

Here is what I i got:
    Out of no where i have been having a hard time starting the car. It don't matter if its day or night, hot or cold, humid or dry, it doesn't want to turn on right away. It will crank about 4-6 times and nothing. I do not want to keep cranking over more than that and mess up the starter.
    I can sit there and keep doing that for more than 20 times and it just won't start.

How it starts (if it decides to start):
    When its cranking, i can hear that "chugging along" noise and i try to give it some throttle. If when its "chugging along", i give it too much gas it'll choke, die and i may hear a backfire in the process. From here i won't hear the noise again after a few attempts. I try again with less throttle, and it'll "chug-along" and finally it'll turn on.
    Not always its like this, some times I may just turn the key with out pressing on the gas and it'll turn on right away.

Once its on:
    When the car is running, its in great shape life if nothing's wrong. It idles fine, I give it gas and it revs up right away with no hesitation. I can drive it for hours (the longest since the issue was 2hrs+ continuously on highway) and no problems. When stopped at light, it'll purrs just fine.
    BUT when once i turn it off, it start to do the same issue all over again.
    About 3 months ago, the car just kept on turning on and off with out any kind of issues until last week.

What i have tried:
    - I have taken the car to have the alternator and the battery tested and everything came back fine. The battery is less than 1 year old and the alternator is about 3 years old tops with less than 6k miles on it.
    - I replaced the fuel pump a while back before the issue started. I have recently tested the fuel pump and i have good fuel pressure.
    - I currently use 10w30 full synthetic oil.
    - Im running throttle bodies with stacks and UNI filters.
    - It has a new O2 sensor with no change and no improvements.

What i know for sure that needs to be replaced.
    - The temperature sensor that sends the signal to the gauge cluster is going bad and i need to replace it, because if i touch the line, it'll cause the temp on the cluster to jump like some fine imported booty. (small attempt of humor) i haven't changed it because I've been lazy...i ain't going to lie.

What I have heard and read its wrong:
    - Throttle position sensor.
    - Idle control valve
    - fuel pump is going bad again

I currently live in Houston where the temp ranges between 85-105 F.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I take it standard ecu?
    Is the sta wire connected?
    Verify the engine temperature sensor at the back of the head is in good condition and connected to ecu.
    Check tps is correctly calibrated.
    No change to the static timing?
    No chamges made to cam timing?
    Big up's for the North East Massiv'
    NSATB - New Skids Around The Block

Name
    Cip
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States

It currently has a haltec system.
    And idk what sta wire is.
    - what section exactly is the engine temp sensor? Is that real close the alternator? Because if that's the one, I've unplugged it and in a odd occasion it still turned on.
    - How do I go about calibrating the throttle position sensor? I thought that if it went out, I'd just have to replace it.
    - as far as any kind of timing, I haven't messed with that. But when the shop was doing a ecu, they made sure that the timing was set. Which it ran right off the bat. Could the timing had changed even while being driven?
    And definitely no cam timing.

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Please upload what model ecu.
    Engine temperature sensor is on back of head in standard form.
    Tps can be calibrated from haltech software.
    Open up ecu manager program and verify that what sensors are reading is what you would expecteg engine temperature should be about the same as air temp if engine hasnt been running and in cold condition.

Wen running previously wa it on this ecu?
    If not, did the shop set up cold start and starting enrichment?

Name
    Cip
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States

Isn't there a sensor that regulates the amount of gas given? Because something that I just noticed, the engine revs are always at the same rpm, regardless of time, morning or night, and even if it's been driven for hrs. It remains the same.
    I hopped on my Toyota truck and when it was just a fresh start, it was idleling high, and then once it got hot, it was idleling relatively low around 900rpm give or take.
    Idk if it makes any difference but I hope someone in here knows...

Name
    Cip
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States

When I got the haltec installed, everything ran fine for a solid 3 with it being driven everyday.
    Just out of no where it did it to me once, a few days passed, and it did it again. Then since it did it to me several times and left me stranded for hrs, I decided to stop driving it.
    Normally what I do when it doesn't want to start, I leave it alone for 20 mins give or take, and oddly enough, a good majority of the time it works, but some times I don't so I wait another 20 and so on and on....

Name
    Cip
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States

I have the Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 with Autospec Flying Lead Harness...does that help?

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Check your earth around the block, head (where ecu earth's).
    If like a MoTeC the ecu won't fire it up with low battery voltage.
    Plug in a laptop with software, do a couple of checks of sensor's, then try fire it up and see the battery voltage through the ecu

Name
    Cip
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	36934
    so i found that not secured but after further inspection, i found that it was from the block and it was grounded else where. (which i couldn't get a good angle to show both and the second picture it won't load for some reason).
    I haven't driven the car, but i have started it, ran it for 15-20 mins to where it was fully hot. THEN turned it off and it still was hard to turn on.
    Incidentally, i think i might of damaged the starter because now it's getting stuck, and what i have to do is hit the starter with something to get it "un-stuck" hahaha.

Name
    Cip
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States

Name:	IMG_3421.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	36935
    that little plug on the side of the block (upper right side of pic) is for what? and does that need to have something there?

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	36936
    I was told by the mechanic that installed the haltech that the sensor back there was the one that wasn't regulating whether the car was hot on cold and wasn't regulating how much fuel its giving.
    Is this true? because i unplugged it and left it off and the car eventually turned on after the same process that it normally does.

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	313.9 KB 
ID:	36937
    On this last image i have found those two random wires. when they touched the chassis it sparked so i just quickly taped it up for the mean time, and i have found that this made no difference.

Also, is there a page somewhere that give a cross reference of blacktop parts with other models/years/ from toyota? (sorry if these are all newbie questions) I haven't been able to find one, or maybe I'm not giving the correct words in google.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast