Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Diary of my 86'.

Bad Email Address

Got my 15x8 0 sportmaxxs installed, I sold the drags. rubbage city w/ 205/50/15 azenis. I also allocated my matching GTS driver seat with the inflator thingy ( no pics), so I installed them both...hehehe I love them! I also had the exhaust re-done under the diff, so now my cars up & running again. Hurray!!

I hope to have some vids for you here shortly (over the weekend). With the new header on the car definitely feels way more responsive & the top-end has plenty of juice.

As for the exhaust tone all I had was 200.00 to complete my setup, so lets say you get what you pay for. The piping is great but the muffler.............OMG jelly beans in a tin can grrrr.

Bad Email Address

Ok so no video yet, but I just wanted to document, my lateral rod bracket is cracking.......so sad.

I was driving to work the other morning, on the freeway, when I hit a small hump in the road I felt the rear dance sideways a bit and thought nothing of it. I went to work & decided to take a peek in the rear suspn. area when I found the fresh metal area, signs of separation. I was amazed to see that it was holding together by a rather small area. My quick fix was to sacrifice handling a bit and remove the lateral rod.

Tomorrow I'm going to a co-workers house who is a jeep off-roader / fabricator. He and I plan to weld the bracket back together, and build a structure around the old bracket, general reinforcement to assist the repair.

Wish me luck!

ehh,.... here's a not so exciting peek at the new rims setup. to make this look fairly attractive it needs some coil overs and som 195/45/15's FOR SURE!

Bad Email Address

Well guys here's the update on the LR/PH rod bracket.

I got it fixed over the weekend. The welder provided me with an in-expensive fix for my broken bracket.

He explained to me, in order to build the box enclosure made, we'd have to drop the gas tank. Due to time and money constraints, he was already booked for the day, and I had prior engagements that required a fair portion of my loot on hand, I could not get the box enclosure made.

Although he did a quick fix, which feels lovely compared to a broken bracket, it still will be modified in the future. I still need to make my adjustable LR/PH rod to prevent this type of damage from occurring. so that on my to-do list in the upcoming weeks.

I also have a video link of my new exhaust setup, by far nothing special but you can't drive anywhere fast w/out one of these

Name
    Dylan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Do you hit gutters?

Bad Email Address

no....I believe the car was slammed before on stock lateral rod.

Bad Email Address

Log Entry: 1/15/09 07:33am

so one by one the worms are starting to make their way out of my jar. Two nights ago I decided to go to a friends house and chill. I hung out for a while and decided to head home.

I was near my house when I felt a change in my cars driveability. Owners instinct I'd say. Anyway way I finally arrived home 20 min later, I popped the hood a did a quick visual. Everything appeared ok. I looked at my prior melting dizzy cap, a notorious issue, only to notice the hole seemed a tad bit larger. No biggie, I said to myself I'll fix it when I get to work.

Well the next morning it began to stumble and hesitate, barely limping me to work in a sense. I get to work and popped the hood, again I do a visual closely. To my surprise the ignitor wire had popped off. I plugged it back in and gave it crank. Vroom, it started right up, throttle response was back, and it idled normal. At the end of my shift I fired it up to begin my trek home. It ran briefly, then it started jump, jerk, stumble just before it shut off, while I navigated with by remaining momentum into the convieneint gas station.

I popped the hood once again, with force I gave the ignitor wire a push, and vroom again. As I began to reach my exit again it happened. Each time worse and worse, more difficult than the last. Assuming it was the plug wires I bought some new ones, when I got home put them on and did a test drive. Everything was normal.

I woke up this morning, Got my daughter dressed and headed for school. By the time we made this 4mile trip it had made an embarrassing 6 -9 stalls. In traffic and all. Long story short I made to work safely powering through the symptoms, using the accelerator pedal. I arrived and began testing my coil, installing my new MR2 cap and rotor etc. While testing, I accidentally bumped the p/s resv. And I heard the fuel pump cut off. Bingo!!! To make this quick whoever had did this conversion t clipped the fuel circuit and it was shorting out. Repaired the wires properly, and I'll test drive after work

Log entry 1/15/09 18:20pm

I do believe in the end it's all my fault. I should have did a little bit more research before buying my 2nd corolla. Especially on converted cars. I hope the 3rd purchase will be a wisely bought Good condition legit 85' GTS. For now I must make due with what I have, being it is my daily. Once I surpass that stage I hope I can sell it and buy the real thing. It wasn't an easy diagnosis, but either way I'm glad I found the fix!

I couldn't wait until after work, so at lunch time I fired her up, and went for a cruise. One of the best yet!! I was swing the tail a lil bit out of enjoyment and took some pics with my I*phone to share with you all.

Bad Email Address

Well I've never really cleaned up the car since I've bought it. It wasn't too dirty, but it wasn't my dirt.LOL Well I needed to get the rear in shape, adding seat belts for my child, so I've decided to spruce up the rear panels and chassis, like what I did with the trunk area. all photos have been un-edited, taken with a camera phone.

Cleaned and lube the rear latch.
    before

after

clean all the damn dirt, prepped the rear chassis for it's grey coating w/ some rust tough enamel.

one side completed

primer stg. (pic 2 completed today)

My cars previous rear interior consisted of grey and blue trims pieces. I figured while things were out let's do a color change. I sourced some good interior dye. SEM landu black, and went to town! I'm not completely finished with the rear, but I'm one full panel, and small trims away from rear completion. This process w/ my time invested thus far has been about 2days, for the rear section only doors backwards.

somehow on the first panel I grabbed an old can of krylon vinyl black-Gloss ( it must have been while operating my cell phone, watching tv, working between commercials and talking to the wife simultaneously made me over look this) by mistake. I didn't realize until it dried, because the surface shine was more sheeny than the factory look

Either way I'm not trying to win any prizes just reviving a 23yr old car.

Originally cleaned it w/ degreaser & a psi washer 2months ago.

Yesterday w/ the new stuff I surface prepped, ready to paint!

3 coats applied all light coats ( i used a million angles so you can see the diff in gloss.)

then alas, the bi-product of my tedious labor

more panels......................SEM landu black not krylon

Step 1 surface prep, notice the semi-damp look (originally a blue panel)

Step 2

Step 3 got down and dirty and applied my coats, look sooooooo OEM ( ill show compare & contrast more in just a bit.)

misc. rear parts

OEM Vs. LANDU ( it looks amazingly factory!)

Oem w/ Step 1 complete so the surface shine is still visible a bit

Coat 1 of Landu

Completed Landu VS. The OEM

Name
    Dylan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

great resto work

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

On the rear cards you can remove the arm rest bit, i did on my ones. Maybe UDSM are different to JDM, they just had metal tabs i folded back then pulled it off..

Bad Email Address

.....haven't got there yet...I've been kinda lazy

***********************Most recent craze*********

so wether you wish to read it or look at the pictures it's all up to you.

Well Monday it was raining heavily where I live. I took off to drop my daughter off at school and me myself head to work ( I've drivin' this car in milder wet conditions). I got on the freeway & began to merge into the slow lane when I felt my car Glide ( smirk on my face).....But my daughter was in the car and all logical rational returned to me, whoa I thought. I looked down out the speedo to realize I was barely reaching 65. This is no good I pondered silently. 4 miles later we safely reached my daughters exit, and continued about our routine. with all that said a few more slippery episodes took place before i made it to work.

Throughout the day I began think if I should buy tires or not, again rational took over, you drive w/ your child idiot, if it was just me, I'd wing it. I'm abstractly adventurous. I felt my daughters life was way more important that what I had to spend, or injuring someone else for my " Adventurous lifstyle".

Through some ties at work I got me a set of 195/50/15 capitol uhp's for under 2 benjis' =) and I felt at ease. On my journey back from picking up tires, my car begins to release smoke into the cabin, from the engine compartment, and i notice the temp gauge rise. I pulled over and popped the hood to find.....

Just my luck.....already in the money pit and this happens. So idiocally I drive the car back to work about 3 blocks, doing some key on, key off, coast, maneuvers. I get back to the shop and sulk in the disaster for a little while, then began to think, if I'm going to be replacing stuff, might as well do it once!

so I began to call around & collect misc items needed for my upgrade application choice.

OEM T*Stat

Silly-cone Hoses ( blue is not my thing but the only avail. item on ASAP.)

GodSpeed Radiator ( I've been saving for this day)

My E*Fans

Thermostatic fan relay kit ( this auto. controls the fans @ a specified temp)

Inline Adapter ( for T*stat sensor)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast