Name
    T
    State
    VICTORIA
    Country
    Australia

Default Victorian Light Automotive Mechanic wages

Hi everyone,

I am about to start an apprenticeship in light automotive mechanics and just wanted to get an idea on wages for when I finish it?
    I've read around that a lot of hard work isn't greatly appreciated in this field.. but for me personally I've always wanted to study in mechanics so the pay side would be a bit of a bonus really to do what I love.

Also aside from working at a garage on completion what other jobs can i get from this cert?
    I feel like I'm going to get slammed for being female and wanting a career path in mechanics too..

So give it to me straight but mix it up with a little inspiration too haha

Thanks for your time.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I used to be a mechanic, pay isn't really in line with the skills required and there's no real room for advancement. Service managers etc don't earn a lot more.

I got some great skills from going through an apprenticeship and then some advanced programs afterwards, but if you want to earn lots of money it definitely wouldn't be the trade I would pick.

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Take it as an opportunity to learn new skills and as a stepping stone.
    You can always go onto further studies and fall back onto the trade if need be. You may be very surprised at how transferable skills from a trade are to a profession.
    Ideally everyone should experience 5 different career paths through the working life.
    Go for it, enjoy it, learn and never stop learning.
    Big up's for the North East Massiv'
    NSATB - New Skids Around The Block

Name
    T
    State
    VICTORIA
    Country
    Australia

Thank you for your reply
    I like the sound of the fact you got some great skills from going through an apprenticeship. I think at the end of the day, for me. What skills I gain mean more to me. It's an excitement to learn.
    I just had no idea what the wages were and curiosity got the best of me haha

Name
    T
    State
    VICTORIA
    Country
    Australia

Thank you Marco I am excited to learn about it. Cars in general are my world and It's always something I wanted to study in. Starting with Certificate in Automotive mechanics through Open Colleges ($2,500 later) was all online.. never hands on anything lol So yeah to get the skills from this is exciting and thrive to keep on learning. I appreciate your response

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If you run your own shop being a mechanic can pay alright, but working for someone else you don't really earn much. When you weigh up the tools you need to buy and all that during your apprenticeship you are pretty much working to buy tools.

However, being a plant mechanic or truck mechanic pays a fair bit better, bigger equipment and heavier but the pay is better.

I also agree with the others as the trade is worth having, being a mechanic teaches you how to solve problems that are in front of you which can be applied to all aspects of life.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Hi, I am a qualified mechanic, did my trade back in the 80's when we did everything in house and never sent work out, we did our own engines, heads, gearboxes, auto trans etc etc etc I learnt so much, my boss was a hard ass but looking back it was good for me. I am now an automotive lecturer for Tafe and absolutely love the job, pay is great, conditions are great, equipment is insane (2 engine dynos, probably best chassis dyno set up in country, flow bench etc etc etc). Depending on where you do your trade training it could be excellent or just tick and flick crap.

Unfortunately the pay for mecanics is not very good, but if you are good it gives you good skills, and lets face it cars aren't getting any easier or cheaper to fix these days. I shudder when I see some bills people get as I fix all my own stuff and generally get parts cheap to knowing people in the trade.

It also gives you skills to do high end stuff, when I was younger I built engines for sports sedans and crewed for many hign end teams. You can build awesome stuff, time and time again I see absolutely crap workmanship coming out of shops, why pay when you can do it yourself.

You mention you're a girl, no problem, over the years I have taught many women and they are excellent techs, generally they give the guys a good run for their money. I wouldn't let that put you off doing what you like.

At the end of the day you have to do what you love. The job I have now is just fantastic, over the last 4 weeks I have been teaching 'Repair engines', the students have to run an engine then strip it and 100% measure, rectify and rebuild the engine and then it must run again, they also recondition cylinder heads, cutting valve seats and facing valves, setting installed spring heights etc, hone and measure blocks, balance rods and pistons etc etc etc, what a job.......................and then we usually run stuff on the dyno!!

We also have a week long 3rd year subject called 'Test engines using a dynomometer', the students go through using the chassis and engine dynos, they have to map out and tune various cars and engines using different ecus, they flow exhaust, intake and cylinder heads on the flow bench, they dial in and adjust camshafts etc etc...........and this is my job!!!! They pay me to do this stuff!!!!

Do what you love, as an apprentice ther will be times you will hate the job, due to pay and being low on the rung and maybe even treated poorly, but think about the end result.
    Hachiroku since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedSpirit View Post
    When i grow up I wanna be just like Uncle Frak Frak.