Thread: VIC - AE86 with good mechanicals - $8500 neg.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Default VIC - AE86 with good mechanicals - $8500 neg.

Car is now sold.

So it turns out this ad got really long by the time I typed it all out. So here is the quick rundown:

And now the long version:
    This was my road car, and while the aim was to keep it as a simple daily I got more and more carried away as time went on. All the mechanicals have been upgraded in preparation for an engine conversion that never happened. I've had this car for close to ten years and life has changed alot in that time. Unfortunately I don't see myself ever having the time to play with and enjoy this car and daily duties have long been passed on to much more boring vehicles.

It did a head gasket and sat in the garage for a couple of years. I've just put in a new head gasket, thermostat, radiator cap, oil and filter and got it all running again. It's a bucket of fun to drive (I live beside Mount Macedon) and now it's going again I'm really sad that it has to go.

The thing has a damn solid set of mechanicals, however if you are after a show car, or bling, then look elsewhere. The paint is in pretty bad condition, the interior is worn and there is a crease in a front guard (apparently from where a previous owner's girlfriend, while drunk, tried to slide across the bonnet Dukes of Hazzard style).

Now for the shopping list of bits on board:
    Front suspension is based on XT130 struts fitted with Tokico HTS102 adjustable short stroke shocks. These are NLA and work like a dream, with a massive range of damping adjustment. Custom wound 5kg springs match the XT130 lower perch to the AE86 upper perch and are low, just kept captive by the shock. KE70 strut tops give a little more caster. There are XT130 lower control arms, giving about -1.5deg camber, and AE86 power steering arms for quicker steering and more lock. A Whiteline non-adjustable swaybar is also mounted. All bushes are polyurethane and tie rods, rack ends and ball joints have very few km on them (<2000).

Front brakes are ventilated discs made up of RA60 hubs and discs running in MX62 calipers.

Rear suspension is Tokico HTS102s and custom wound 3kg springs, again very low. All bushes are poly. There is also a Whiteline non-adjustable swaybar too.

The diff is based on a T18 T-series (series II so it had swaybar mounts). Centre is a Cusco LSD with 4.1 ratio. The centre got all new bearings and seals when the LSD was installed (again less than 2000km ago) and it was run in extensively so it doesn't chirp/carry on, but locks up fine.

Rear brakes are ST141 Corona discs. These things are sweet, and the best part is the handbrake works like a charm. This setup is way preferable to JDM AE86 in both performance and availability of parts. The axles got new bearings and seals and genuine Corona bearing retainer plates, so there is no loose ring clamping the bearing. A shorter front section of the handbrake cable was fitted (ST162??) but it is still slightly long, so there is a spacer under the adjuster nut by the handbrake lever.

Brake master is an R32 3-port, non-ABS unit and the AE86 brake bias valve has been turfed. The master looks factory, even the low fluid warning works, and gives a good brake bias.

Wheels are 15x6 Performance Superlights fitted with Kumho KU31s. The tyres have done very little work and tonight it amazed me how hard you could pull up without locking up.

I've fitted an ST162 twin core radiator with twin thermofans. One fan is switched by a temp switch in the top radiator hose, the other is switched by the AC. And yes it has AC. It still works, just, but definitely needs a regas if you really want to use it.

There's also a tachometric relay fitted and wired up in the engine bay to control a fuel pump (I was planning on going carbed 4AG). And the battery is close to new, having spent most of its life on a float charger.

While it is still a 4AC, the motor has had all new ignition parts thrown at it (leads, dizzy cap, dizzy button, spark plugs, etc) and has electronic ignition (I discovered when I went to replace the points). There are new belts on it and an Excedy heavy duty clutch was fitted to a machined flywheel not many km ago.

Interior bling is limited to a Twincam steering wheel and resoldered contacts in the headlight switch. The hatch gas struts are new, so you won't need to carry a cricket bat to keep it up. And it has a tow bar. The main part is fitted and the tongue can easily be bolted on and off as required.

The bad points to note are that there is a little rust in the driver's door jamb, below the striker plate, also below the passenger tail light. Both bits I "fixed" back in 2007, but have returned. There is also some superficial surface rust on the hatch, but a sand and paint is all it needs. The trim along the top of the windscreen is missing and the fuel filler release pin is broken (cable's OK, just the pin by the filler). Oh, and as mentioned, it has a 4AC.

A range of spare parts can come with the car. Namely a new Flo's quick rack, a bigport 4AGE (40/18 big/little ends) bottom end and probably some other odds and ends.

Currently it has Vic club reg (rego, comprehensive insurance and roadside assist costs $150 a year) so test drives are easy, but it is non-transferable. No roadworthy, but I think stock suspension is all it'd need to pass.

I live in Woodend, about 45minutes NW of Melbourne on the Calder. I can meet people to inspect the car almost any time, but 5-8pm is best avoided because of family life. My mobile reception at home is patchy, so the landline is the best option if you want to ask questions. I am not interested in long SMS conversations, and please don't waste my time. 5427 2695 or 0490 023301.

$7000 with some spares included. The price, as with all things, is negotiable. But please come and look before making offers.

Last edited by Hen may possibly be a nut; 27th December 2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Sold

Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Now available for $7500.

Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Still for sale. Accepting offers of $7k.

Give me a call and come take a look.

Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Sold.