Thread: Truth about turbo position

Name
    Debo
    State
    United Kingdom
    Country
    United Kingdom

Default Truth about turbo position

Hi everyone, lately I was doing some researches about forced induction because, as mentioned in my introduction post, I am looking to buy a BRZ and start a long(ish) term build project with it. I currently own a turbo charged car (my first one) and I definitely love the way it drives compared to the previous NA sports cars I had so I'd like to go that path. While reading around I stumbled across this statement (which probably many of you read too):

“Going only on anecdotal evidence, it seems very much like there are far more supercharging options available in the UK for the GT86 than turbo kits. The reason? It’s all to do with where the steering wheel is.

On all GT86s and BRZs, the exhaust manifold exits to the left-hand side of the car. So, on left-hand drive vehicles, there’s a nice space for a turbo on the other side of the engine. On right-hand drive cars though, that space is taken up by the steering column. It is possible to mount a turbo further forward and lower down, but it’s not the best place for keeping a blower cool, Feasey tells us.

So, if your steering wheel’s on the right, you’re better off with a supercharger.”

My obvious question is, is that true? And even if it is true, is it an actual real deal breaker for this specific car or an actual turbo conversion can be achieved with good reliability? The reason why I am asking is because I am not a expert about forced induction and I never thought that in a turbo (being exhaust driven) the positioning was so important.

If anyone can elaborate the topic for me it will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by _debo; 5th January 2017 at 12:14 AM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

There are many many factors which influence the output of a turbo. But it is rediculous to suggest if a car is left hand drive vs right would influence it. A good fabricator will make it work with the space that is available.

There are many turbo kits abailable off the shelf for the brz / 86. Given the numbers sold personally I'd pick one of these and go with it based on what you want from ththe car.

Being such a high comp motor lag won't be bad from a turbo charger.

Name
    Debo
    State
    United Kingdom
    Country
    United Kingdom

That's correct, I think that in that article the journalist/interviewer mixed up think or misunderstood what the tuner said. In another forum this is what the tuner actually said:

I feel that I've been misquoted there.....

as I recall I actually said having the turbo so close to the engine can give heat related issues to the engine
    I know of a few low mounted turbo installations that have issues with overheating wiring / VVT actuators, cooling fans etc

its has little to do with how the turbo actually performs, although airflow over the turbo is also nice to have as it will buy you a little headroom

Which make more sense and it's in line with what you just said.