Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Matt's JDM Levin project

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

so got my letter from DIRD and QLD Transport were happy to issue me with some plates... so it's officially on the road and will be at the All Japanese Classic Day at Banyo on the 12th of Feb...

first thoughts...

the idle comes down to a livable 1200-1300 once warm.. happy enough with that for now.. wasn't revving super smoothly, seemed to be a bit of a hesitation around 4500 but I only noticed it once so can't be sure.. will give it some fresh fluids/filters/fuel and see if that fixes it.. fuel is probably very stale..

that's all for now, hope to take it for a gentle drive over one of the mountains nearby in the next few days and see what else I find...

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Nice one! Yes I suggest getting those discs machined as part of the brake refresh. They looked a bit crusty to me.

Looking forward to seeing you again at the show.

Name
    J-D
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Aus

Very nice mate, sure glad (and sure Andy is to) to see this old girl goto a good loving home. Will have to catch up at alljap day.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

thanks guys.. if you can, let me know what time you're planning on being at the all jap day.. I'm only 5 mins away and usually only stay for an hour or so at the most...

took it for a longer drive today including some highway driving and it behaved really well.. temps were fine even with the 30+ heat today.. gave it some fresh 98 fuel and it seems to be revving happier...

did a test fit with a mate's deep dish steering wheel today, but it was one extreme to the other with the spacing, so think I might have to look at a spacing kit...

also I think getting the air con sorted needs to be a priority..

only other minor thing this week is I ordered some new wheels for my dolly jacks, seeing as the current ones are falling apart:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0904.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	37228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0905.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	37229

but despite ordering them on monday, and the website boasting "same day dispatch".. nothing has arrived yet.. surprisingly the car is still fairly easy to move even with the wheels falling apart and hitting flat spots..

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

stereo change today... as much as I love the 4AGE sound track, you still need something for traffic lights/cruising at speed...

I contemplated sticking with the double DIN JVC that came with the car from Japanbut... radio is on the Japanese frequecy so no FM.. tried a CD, put in a burnt back up CD first in case it wouldn't eject it, but it didn't read it.. so then tried a genuine bought CD, still no luck, looks like the laser isn't reading anything... still not ready to give up on it (or maybe just lazy to change it.. ), I start looking around the house for my old tapes... thought it might be nostalgic to use tapes again... after an hour of looking I gave up, suspect I threw them out lol..

so out with the old:

Name:	IMAG0906.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	37233

and in with the spare one I had laying around in the shed:

Name:	IMAG0907.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	37234

fired it up and it worked ok, albeit through only 1 speaker.. will have to check the wiring, but I'm not that fussed.. just wanted some noise, I'm not in to car audio like I was when I was younger...

going to look at fabricating a mount in the spare DIN slot below to move some of the gauges out of the glovebox to somewhere you can actually see them... definitely going to move the omori oil pressure and water temp.. probably the wideband air fuel gauge...

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

not really much to update.. starting to get to the stage where I need to make definite decisions and buy/order parts and wait for them to be shipped...

checked the stereo wiring, all ok.. had a look at the passenger side speaker and saw this:

Name:	IMAG0910.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	37235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0911.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	345.8 KB 
ID:	37236

speaker is hanging loosely by 1 cable tie... not great for sound quality lol... it's missing a trim piece, so searching for one now...

HKS filter looked dirty and on the verge of collapse:

Name:	IMAG0914.jpg 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	37238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0915.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	37239

sure enough once removed it started to crumble to dust.. not the worst I've seen but still overdue for replacement:

Name:	IMAG0916.jpg 
Size:	368.3 KB 
ID:	37240

went to MSA at northgate to see if they had a steering wheel boss kit spacer (they didn't), but found they had the HKS elements in stock for $15.. was happy enough to pay that..

Name:	IMAG0912.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	37237

no idea if it's genuine or not, but it looks the part and fits perfectly:

Name:	IMAG0917.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	37241

hope to see some of you on sunday for the all japanese classic day..

Name
    Dave
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    USA

Default Air filter

To maxlmize air flow into your new filter, you should have at a min 25mm clearance all round the filter. davew7

Name:	IMAG0917.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	37241

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

yup, I'm aware it's a bit of an issue.. will look at moving the catch can in the short term.. long term plan is to go ITB's...

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

not much progress to report.. been lazy in the heat here.. I think the next 2 tasks to tackle are going to be tidy up of the wiring for the gauges and addressing the hatch rust...

just 1 pic to add from the pre-meet to the all japanese day on the weekend:

Name:	IMAG0919.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	405.5 KB 
ID:	37253

was nice to meet some of you guys and also get some inspiration for my car!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Any more pics of that bleeding panda car? Might be my old rig, I know it went up to QLD

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast