Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Default Matt's JDM Levin project

Hi All,

So I'm back to owning an 86 and a 4AGE .. hopefully this project will be a bit more successful than my previous 4AGE/86 projects, it's a much better base to work from - for a start it's already running!

I bought Andy's (4doors) JDM Levin this week that he sadly had to part with and moved it to its new home (see attached).

Link to Andy's old build thread:

Plan is to get it registered and live with it for a little while to learn its quirks etc, see what else it needs apart from the obvious..

I've made a list of things it needs addressed before trying for a roadworthy:

Goal is to have it on the road by the 12th of Feb for the local all japanese day.

Longer term most of what I want to do to the car is cosmetic, I'd like to put a kouki front end, a couple of other bits and pieces, new wheels etc.. Rust fixed and new paint.

Going to try and take my time with this one, so I don't expect to update this thread often, but will try and keep it as a record of the build.

Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0862.jpg 
Views:	1155 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	37190  

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Nice one Matt. Good to see this is going to get the attention it deserves.

Let me know if you need any help with sourcing a cat pipe for it, I work at an exhaust supply company and can get you cost prices on a new universal cat/flanges/etc.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

ah, that would have been handy to know before I dropped the decat pipe off at the exhaust shop ... all good though, thanks for the offer..

decat pipe removed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0864.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	37192

was thinking to keep this for track use, but then I remembered how lazy I am and I thought to myself "am I actually going to be bothered to swap it over?", besides it's not like I'm going to be setting any lap records in this car.. so I took the decat pipe to a nearby exhaust shop and asked them to re-cat the decat.. will post up the end product when I get it back (hopefully tomorrow)...

so the nardi wheel that was in the car was a 330mm wheel, so would have actually been ok for rwc, however being that small the steering was a little heavy for my girly arms (no power steering on the gtv).. so I dug out an old saas wheel that I bought in 1994 and used to run on my old TG gemini:

Name:	IMAG0863.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	345.0 KB 
ID:	37193

it's a bit rough after 23 years but it didn't cost me anything to put in, so it will do for now until I decide to replace it...

next item on the agenda is to address the seat belts not emergency locking.. I asked toyota if they had replacement seat belts but apparently they don't stock them for a car this old.. lol.. can get aftermarket replacements from bursons, but they are $190 a side and not a bolt in.. so I'm going to try opening up the retractor and see if I can clean the locking mech to see if that solves it.. if not I'll look for some 2nd hand ones.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

not much progress this week, still trying to resolve the seat belts issue.

recat pipe:

Name:	IMAG0871.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	37203

and installed:

Name:	IMAG0872.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	37204

hopefully there's enough clearance to the floor...

fingers crossed I can get some 2nd hand seat belts (that work) from just jdm on the weekend...

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

My JDM car came with a de-cat pipe too, I put in a similar car to yours and haven't had any issue with clearance with the floorpan.

I also got through with a drift button, but I put a spring behind it so that it operates like a normal button.

As for seatbelts... I ended up buying all new units, the JDM mechanism works purely off a float and so if you pull hard on the belt it doesn't lock. (it would lock in an accident though because the float would move out of its spot). Still, that is not sufficient for rego (at least in WA).

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

thanks for the info! yeah, the seatbelt set up is odd, locks fine when I pull it out of the car.. if it's going to lock in an acident that gives me some piece of mind, but I think you're right and it would fail a QLD rwc too...

where did you buy the seatbelts from? I have tried toyota aus for adm sprinter belts with no luck, only option I've found so far is aftermarket ones from bursons...

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Don't have Bursons in WA, I went through a place called Seatbelt solutions. They did me a good deal, but I think a couple guys at the shop just liked the car when I took it in so they cut me a deal.

Their website is: in case you want to check them out.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Thanks again for that info.. I went up to see Craig from Just JDM today and grabbed a set of 2nd hand belts so hopefully that fixes the problem, but if not I might try contacting those guys...

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

couple of pics of the stuff I picked up from Craig at Just JDM:

Name:	IMAG0874.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	37205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0875.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	37206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0876.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	37207

the grill is a little tired, going to give it a polish up with the headlight restoration kit I have laying around here.. fogs are in good condition.. picked up those black seatbelts too, but they do the same thing as my blue ones so no point keeping them and they are going back today for refund.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I just looked up new black seatbelts on amayama today and they seemed to list em, although I didn't do a formal request. $300 plus a side. Buckles about 80 a side.

I ordered the buckles so Ill let you know if they can get em.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 22nd January 2017 at 09:28 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast