Thread: Matt's JDM Levin project

Name
    Scott
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey Emtea,

I love seeing how much you have progressed the car in a few short months, it's helping to motivate me into getting back into fixing up my hachi.

I have seen some people tape and paint the Zenki headlights to look Kouki and match the grill a bit better. I have tried to find a write up but can't find one. Could be a cheap alternative to forking out on some Kouki Lights.

As for the hatch, thanks for the info on the hole, I have bubble rust in the same area so now I know when i fix it i may try and plug the hole with some rubber, maybe a rubber wiper block off?

Once again good work and keep up that progress!

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

thanks for the kind words, though I'm not sure I've done all that much with it... doesn't feel like I've done much lately at least.. got 4 days off with the long weekend so hopefully I'll get some time in the shed to have a look at moving the gauges or tidying up some of the wiring..

will eventually buy some kouki lights and parkers I think, I'm just being a tight arse about it haha.

my mate that did the welding had some of these plastic things laying around:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1003.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	37430

I just did the holes that are on the sides, leaving the middle open so that it could still drain if it needed to.. also these plugs I used should still allow it to breathe while stopping the water getting blown in (at least that's the theory! haha)

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Nice project, ae82 eyelids fit ae86 headlights if your after a budget kouki look a like headlights.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

thanks for that, I'd read about the AE82 eyelids somewhere before but I'd been unable to find any in a quick search... doesn't matter now though as I stopped being tight and forked out the asking price for a set of kouki lights:

Name:	IMAG1008.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	37446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1009.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	346.7 KB 
ID:	37447

pretty nice condition...

here's a crappy photo of them installed, but you get the idea...

Name:	IMAG1011.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	37448

suppose I need kouki parkers next

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

progress has been slow, or also known as non-existent... have been ordering parts though, and am now waiting on them to arrive... list is:

2nd hand omori oil temp gauge (to match the other 2 omori's in the car)
    ebay spec single din triple 52mm gauge holder (to move the gauges from the glove box)
    ultra racing 11k rpm tacho (bit of an extravagance, but long term plan for the engine is to rev higher than 8k )
    and some brand new work wheels out of japan..

once the gauges and the gauge holder arrive I'll tidy up the wiring inside the car.. feels a bit excessive to replace the generic oil temp gauge that is working fine for a brand name one, but it will look nicer (and therefore make me happier) to have 3 matching gauges sitting together...

decided that I really wanted 15" wheels on the car, and got tired of looking for 2nd hand ones only to find styles I wasn't 100% happy with or wrong sizes/offsets, or people asking as much as brand new... so just bit the bullet and bought brand new wheels for the first time in my life lol... they are about 4-6 weeks away, so once they get here I'll finally replace those old tyres

few more parts to find/decided on but wheels was a big decision so good to get that one out of the way... hope to have the car ready for paint by the end of the year, as I've also decided on a colour scheme for it...

was hoping to have a bit more progress for all japanese day next weekend but oh well... another recent purchase was a new phone, so hopefully the quality of the photos I take will improve

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

so after posting how I've basically done nothing for a month, I did actually do something today... got out the old headlight restoration kit and gave the whitelines and zenki parkers a quick going over... whitelines I put more effort into and were in better condition to start with, so turned out better..

Name:	polished whiteline.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	37469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polished zenki parker.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	37470

the yellow part on both was pretty ordinary, so happy with it for now...

Name
    Matt
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

wrote a long post about things I'd done to the car last weekend.. turns out it was too long to go into 1 post and it crashed as I was trying to post... so kinda got the shits and and didn't look at the site for a few days.. will try and post up some progress over the weekend...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5