Thread: Should I go carbureted 4age or efi?

Name
    Arvin
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Default Should I go carbureted 4age or efi?

I have an 1987 Sr5 and I want to swap a 4age into my car. I've heard that it is very difficult to wire up the efi system into the sr5 that's why most people do a carbbed swap. However, I don't really know how to setup a carbbed system as well. I want to put on gsxr bike carbs, but there are no manifolds that I can find to adapt carburetors to the engine. Everyone pretty much custom made their manifold and I don't have the experience, tools, or resources to do so. I'm a broke college student so I don't have too much money to spend. What's the best solution and how to set it all up?
    Thank you

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Stick with the stock EFI. Wiring isn't that hard. Get a multimeter, a wiring diagram and look through the writeups (there are heaps around). A few evenings cleaning up the loom and labelling all wires makes it pretty easy to install. The diagrams may look entirely unfathomable to start with, but you'll get there.

Carbs can be great, but if you don't have carb experience, skills or bits then it's an uphill battle. And then you need to think about how to control ignition. This usually requires some wiring.

Name
    Arvin
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Thank you for your advice. Can I use my sr5 dash harness? It is extremely difficult to find ae86 parts in New York. GTS parts are even harder.

Name
    Dave
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    USA

I would visit Dori Kaze, 4AGE club, and Hachiroku forums and see if anyone there has an engine bay harness. [post in parts wanted] If you can get a harness, it's just a matter of getting power to the ECU and connecting to the SR-5 dash harness, assuming you do not have A/C and will need the varoius idle up circuits which would be a lot more work. Dave W