Name
    Andrew
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Default Help with making an AE86/AE85 evolution poster

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew, I'm from Melbourne and I create specific types of car posters which you may have seen on eBay and at websites for sale over the years. I primarily work in IT but am also a writer and illustrator, graphics designer and do a bunch of other things for a living. These posters are just a hobby but I take them very seriously and I'm a car enthusiast too, so want them to be as accurate as possible.

I am creating a poster which charts the evolution of the AE85 and AE86 models during their brief production period and would like to gain some assistance in trying to understand it all. It's my second Toyota poster (the first being the Soarer/Lexus coupes) and I am honestly quite confused by the differences between model trims and body appearances of the 85/86. I've spent hours trying to find images of specific models only to find resprayed bodies with custom colours and aftermarket wheels, etc, or Japanese brochures (which I could read Japanese!).

I've read through this detailed article:

It helps a lot. I also found this list of paint colours:

But there appear to be no light blue AE86s cars in existence, so I am unsure how accurate it is. I think my poster is going to end up with a lot of repeated colours as it seems there's only white, red, silver and black cars.

Trying to find a photo of a stock Australian Toyota Sprinter is proving quite difficult also.

I came up with a list of 16 models I intend to include on the poster. I plan to vary the years as I get through the list to show the facelifted models. I am just unsure what year specific models came out, and my list has a mix of Japanese, European, North American and Australian models in it. I've scrapped trying to include a DX in there as it appears impossible to try and see what one looks like.

Some questions I have:

- What year did the facelift come about?
    - Was there an optional aerodynamic body kit/spoilers from 1983 onwards?
    - The GTV model appears to have completely lower half two-tone paint treatment, but was that a later year?
    - Is there a list of optional wheels anywhere?

Here is my planned list of illustrations. What do you think?

AE86 Trueno Sprinter GT hatch (J)
    AE86 Trueno Sprinter GTV hatch (J)
    AE86 Corolla Levin GT-APEX coupe (J)
    AE86 Corolla Levin GTV hatch (J)
    AE86 Sprinter hatch (AU)
    AE86 Corolla GT-S coupe/hatch (US)
    AE86 Corolla SR5 hatch/coupe (US)
    AE86 Corolla GT coupe/hatch (EU)
    AE86 Corolla SR5 coupe/hatch (Austria/Switzlerland)
    AE85 Corolla Levin SR (hatch)
    AE85 Corolla Levin SE (hatch)
    AE85 Trueno Sprinter SE (hatch)
    AE85 Trueno XL (hatch)
    AE85 Corolla Levin GL (hatch)
    AE86 Trueno Sprinter Lisse (coupe)
    AE86 Corolla Levin GL-Lime (coupe)

I would really appreciate any help which could be given! These posters take weeks to make so I put a huge amount of effort into them.

Thank you in advance,

Andrew.

PS. Here is some preliminary work I've done so far (lights and wheel details not yet done):

And here is an example of one of my finished poster charts:

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Hi, are there any knowledgeable AE86 gurus who can help with my efforts? 55 views and no replies!

This is looking like what happened to my 1st gen Toyota Celica poster project years ago, no one responded:

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

You can ask anyone of us questions about the defierences between koumiss and zenki models and you'll get the answers you are looking for. Whilst I think what you are doing is cool as itll take some time to produce the answers you are looking for.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

and part of the problem, over the years there been a lot of claims made about what car come with what equipment, and different configurations, and many cars as you say are modified these days how they looked originally is a distant memory. Ideally you'd just need to do a zenki and kouki coupe and zenki and koukli notch back. If you want to go silly you can differentiate further and include black limited, gtv, gt apex, and split all the trim levels. Zenki is up to mid 85 I think, then kouki series comes after. The main visual differences being kouki has different lights and grill, and bumpers with wrap around lights at the front and an extra crease in the rear.

The Panda colours were available on all the JDM cars not just GTV, afaik.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 1st May 2017 at 11:32 AM.

Name
    Torque
    State
    Makati
    Country
    Philippines

Hi, just like to ask or an update on this interesting poster project.