Name
    chris
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States

Default running on 2 cylinders?

Hey all,

I've had my 86 for about 6 years. ran and drove fine before I tore it apart 2 years ago for a minor restore and paint the entire chassis. I fianlly just got it all back together! feels great besides the fact that it only running on 3 and 4. 1-2 are dead. new dis cap. wire and plug were put in before i tore it apart and ran fine.it runs but like a bag of dicks, so i was able to pull 1-2 spark wire out and it has spark and are firing. so next step check injectors. I had a bad injector once befor and got 8 used one from a guy Know. so I change out the injectors and still no diffence. any one have some advice about trouble shooting this problem?

thanks

Name
    Brendan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Definitely check the injectors. Test them out of the car if you can, even swap the 3rd and 4th cylinder injectors around with the 1st and 2nd cylinders to see if they will work in there.

I "cleaned" my own injectors once by using a fuel pump directly on the injector, and using an old plug and a battery to open/close the injector over a bucket. Not sure if it was right but hey, it worked...

Name
    Dave
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    USA

Default only 2 cylinders

The 1st and 2nd cylinders injectors are fire as a pair. High probability that you either are not sending a signal to the injectors or the injector are not grounding thru the ECU.
    Use a noid light or old style VOM [not digital] to verify that current is at the injectors. If you are getting a signal, then check the grounding wire for an open circuit. Dave W7

Name
    chris
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States

thats exactly what the problem was! I had power to the injectors but they wernt grounding. So i traced all the wiring back to the ecu and one of the pins was push out of the connector. now i just have a weird idle like a vacuum leak. Revs up and drops back to normal. My buddy said hondas do this all the time after sitting for a while, he said the ECU is just relearning it self? I'm not certain thats case, so I'll be checking all line and the TPS today. My engine harness pretty beat and connectors are falling apart, so that could be another problem also.