Name
    Zak
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Default Introduction and 4age datsun question

Hey guys. I'm zak from the Gold Coast

I've got a datsun sunny and a small port 16v 4age and t50 to go in it!

My question is what suggestions you guys have as to what I should build in the way of a nice angry street motor, I've looked through all the forums but it's mostly just bits and peices of information or people bagging out carbs haha!

I want the car to be reasonably responsive, reliable and be fun through the hills and turns.. with strong midrange

I bought a completely running motor setup out of a ke

1 thing im sticking with is carbs, I understand itbs are more tuneable etc but enjoy carbs more! I have a set of 40dhlas

Currently has an old school msd box, have heard the programmable 6al is the go though?

Trying to keep the bay and engine as tidy as possible

My main concern is when I need to start strengthening bottom end and what my ideal scenario would be with cams and headwork

The motor is completely stock aside from carbs and extractors and was running before removed and supposedly recond 60,000kms ago..

I'm not chasing massive power but want it to be fun to drive, do you guys recommend I build the motor? (If so,using what parts... I'm happy to hear your experiences)
    Or do I leave it stock and tidy it up and send it

(I know this isn't following the tech template but wasn't sure where else to put it)

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

My personal opinion is to get it in and running as simply as possible. I have seen way too many people shoot for the stars and then end up with a shed ornament that eventually gets sold without ever running.

Even a stock 4AGE will be fun in a Sunny. And down the track it is pretty straight forward to drop in cams, swap in a built head or even a fully built motor (or turbo) if you want more.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I suggest some cams with a 270/270 advertised duration and around 9mm of lift. This is the close to the maximum lift before it's too much for the original shim over bucket design and you would have to convert to something a lot more expensive. Check with the cam supplier that it's fine with the original shims/buckets before buying it.

Does that MSD ignition module allow for an adjustable ignition advance? If not then it would be a good idea to change it. Scorcher do a custom distributor to suit 4age engines, perhaps that's an easier option?

Seeing you have the Smallport the bottom end it's already pretty decent, it has the oil squirters inside, the external oil drain from the head and it shouldn't have the earlier model oil pump which wasn't too good. Keep the revs under 8000 and don't fit a solid crank pulley and it should be fine even with mods.

The other mod you could do would be to fit a 0.8mm TRD head gasket. This will lift the compression ratio from what it's meant to be at 10.3:1 by memory to about 10.8:1. This is particularly worth doing if you fit more aggressive cams to compensate for the lower dynamic compression ratio. I have these available on my website:

Do you have some velocity stacks on those carbs?
    Last edited by Sam-Q; 31st August 2017 at 10:26 PM.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Zak
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Hey Sam, thanks for the in detail reply

I do have stacks on the carbs.. I've had a very large change of heart and have discovered the 3sge.. on your website funnily enough!

It's sounding like the much better option for me, using your itb adaptor, sandwich plate and slimline housing.

Just need to find a motor and j160 and I'll be good to go

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

A Datsun Sunny and a 3sge beams engine? Wow that will be a serious combination, I hope you have fitted some nice brakes and suspension to it.

It might be difficult with the clearances as both engine and J160 gearbox are a rather bulky, but then I don't know anything about how much clearance a car like yours has. The ribs on the outside of the bellhousing section of the J160 can be ground down to help, or even cut into and welded up.

Should you go ahead with it I would be interested in seeing pictures of your progress.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Tyrone
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Also interested in progress!
    Definitely get the dimensions an make sure it'll fit before starting if you're not comfortable with cutting up your tranny tunnel, as Sam mentioned the j160 is quite bulky.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Name
    Zak
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

alright.. it's proving fairly difficult to find a beams let alone at a decent price.

The 4age is in and waiting for me to have time to make the mounts/brackets

Will have to look into a remote or short stroke clutch master as the datsun one is quite long
    (this car is factory cable clutch, but i converted for the last engine swap)

Plans are to run the motor as is for now but using SQ eng. rear water housing (already ordered) so I can get it as far back and as low as possible..

Going to look into more parts from sq to see if I can tidy the engine up a bit and keep it as simple as possible as the cooling setup on these motors are quite strange to me haha! Lots of possible leak points at the moment

Currently looking into radiators as I had custom mounted an s13 rad previously but was quite tall, chasing something shorter to keep it below the rad support.

Gearbox(t50) rubber mount is buggered, have found a Cusco one from t3, didn't want to wait that long but don't think I have a choice!

Once this is done I'll be making some adjustable trailing arms to set my driveshaft alignment and get a size to get a shaft made.