Thread: New here, with issues on an 86 SR5 Rolla

Name
    Kristen
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States

Default New here, with issues on an 86 SR5 Rolla

Hey I am new here, from Alabama.... Have had my 86 for a few years and just now getting around to fixing her.

Here is a little bit of her history
    She was bought in Birmingham, Alabama, by a young lady who also lived and worked in the area. Unfortunately, the driver got a DUI.... ran up on a curb, busted the front driver side rim, knocked the front bumper a touch out of whack, and then left a little gash on the door/ qp. The poor little car sat in an impound lot for over 14 years.... Was saved from the crusher and then I acquired it... I am the 2nd registered owner. Car has 170k miles on it, ALL original.

Now, since I have started working on it, this is what all I have done!

-Replaced gas tank
    -Flushed fuel lines
    -Replaced Wheel Cylinders and bled brakes.
    -Replaced carburetor
    -Capped off alot of vac lines
    -New Spark Plugs and Wires
    -New Battery
    -new Ignition Switch
    -Replaced Fuel Pump and Filter, along with fuel lines under hood
    -Replaced all Fuses and Relays
    -New Pos battery connector
    -Fixed the ground to firewall, made sure it had good connection
    -Replaced Master and Slave clutch Cylinders, bled clutch lines
    -Readjusted rear drum shoes

Now, here is what I am dealing with:
    -Car cranked on its own saturday without extra help etc, ran for 2 solid minutes then cut out and died.
    -Sounded fine, did not sound like a misfire or anything like that. Was pretty loud, would not be surprised if I had a big exhaust leak, but hey, she is old so I cannot complain there.

What are some things I can check that would cause it to cut off after running for just 2 short minutes? I am not incredibly familiar with carburetors so I want to say my issue is there but I am not sure.... Recently had to have the floats readjusted because I was getting WAY too much fuel. I have attached a photo of my car :-) If photos up under the hood would help just let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1485493091789.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	37662

Name
    Arath
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States

If you can get the car to start by dumping gas straight into the carb, there could be a few issues. Pump might've went bad or your lines are blocking fuel or leaking somewhere. Try getting her started again first as mentioned before. Beautiful car by the way, it's in great shape for all original.

Name
    Dave
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    USA

Default carb & short engine run

You first guess is that the float adjustment is incorrect. The engine ran until the float bowl ran out of gas. While looking in the carb hit the accelerator and see if there is any gas is being pumped into the carb. Next "Break" the fuel line at the carb and crank the engine to verify that fuel is getting to the carb. That should narrow it down to the carb or the pump and lines.
    Nice find, should be a fun project. Dave W7

Name
    Kristen
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States

Thanks guys. Actually just had taken the carburetor to a shop and they had to readjust the float levels because it was too high. I may have to look at it again.

I replaced the fuel pump already, and got the OEM toyota part. Cost me about 100 bucks haha. I know its working. Gas will shoot out of the line going into the carburetor.... So I am confident that is all right. I was thinking that it is the carburetor. Bought it as a re-manufacture online, figured it suffered too much bumping around in shipping and messed up the floats. I guess I will look at it again this weekend and see what I can figure out. I will have a helper this weekend, too so it will be easier to diagnose it. Thank you guys for your help. I really want this car to run :-)

Name
    Kristen
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States

I wish I had a shop around here with a ready to install carburetor on the shelf for this car, my GMC 1500 and my gremlin. I would go and just buy them all new carbs!
    My Current Collection: 1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 "Sweet Pea" 1985 Toyota Supra "Lucifer"
    2001 Toyota Celica GT "Dirty Bastard"
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S "Race car"
    2004 Toyota Celica GT "Parts Car"
    1989 Honda Civic hatch "Ruby" 1994 Honda Civic hatch "Demonica" 2001 Acura Integra GSR "Linda"
    1973 AMC Gremlin "Gretchen"
    1981 GMC C1500 "Cocaine" (sold)
    1996 Infiniti I30 (everyone needs a beater, right?) "Infiniturd" (sold) 8th gen Corolla coming soon