Thread: 4A-GE 20v Silvertop low idle prob.

Name
    Alex
    State
    Moca
    Country
    Dominican Republic

Default 4A-GE 20v Silvertop low idle prob.

So I’m a new member, I have a AE85 coupé with a 4age 20v silvertop transplant. Currently having some troubles with idling. It will drop so low it starts to lope and sometimes it stalls. Can this be a vac. leak or could it be carbon build up on my itb’s. Its pretty much stock, Just running straight pipe. Also I would like to add i believe it’s running rich because the gassy smell is horrendous. Makes my eyes burn if I’m not going at decent speed lol
    Last edited by AlexFourTwenty; 14th October 2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Title edit

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If you tell us enough to help that would be a start.

What ecu? How well tuned? Vac leaks lead to high idle, not low, so your problem is too little air or too little fuel or both. Being that you think its rich, and it runs, id say air is your culprit. What are you doing for idle control? On a silver top I used to just run a 12mm hardie pope plumbing tap to adjust the idle air feed connected to the stock vacuum array on the top of the manifold with a little breather on the end.

Itbs are easy to clean and remove. It takes a lot of flushing to clean out all the mini air ports on them and the manifold. Helps to remove the top piece of the vac manifold.

There are a series of adjustable ports on the itbs that bypass air, accessible by a bleed screw needle valves in the face of the throttle near where the trumpets mount. Use those to sync the vacuum on each port once you have your idle good, and the whole motor gets smoother. You need vacuum sync gauges to do this.

If you have an aftermarket computer you can adjust fuelling manually. If you have stock ecu and too much fuel, then you might have too much fuel pressure, a dodgy reg maybe or leaking injectors. Its a good idea to clean the injectors on a 4age before running it.

Name
    Alex
    State
    Moca
    Country
    Dominican Republic

Hey @littleredspirit I just found out it was actually my throttle cable that needed adjusting. Still running a bit rich, I believe it has a stop st ecu but I think they might have messed with the maf internals.