Name
    Brian
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default ADM AE86 in Sydney

Hey lads.

Thought I'd finally post my ride up and join the forum as I'm sure I would inevitably do so soon anyway, and also I cant sleep lol.

I got my 86 from Adelaide in early September. Did as much research on the car and from what I have seen this car has been around a lot. Used to be in Sydney, now it's back.

When I first got it, the car ran like crap, exhaust was essentially falling off, wheels were buckled and rashed, inside was extremely dirty, and... Yeah, driving it back to Sydney was just a real pain (though it was a mad experience).

But after a good and well needed service, I'm slowly putting the car back together properly. Trying to restore this car so that it will be nice to daily.

Not sure what I should put on this thread, but my plans for the future are:

- fix all exhaust leaks
    - find out why the car smells like fuel and runs rich
    - fix my lights and brackets so they will hold the grille properly
    - get the grey jdm interior which imo looks better
    - a/c (which is so hard to find atm at a decent price - if anyone could point me in the right direction, thatd be great)

That's just a run down of what I want to do. I might look at getting the whole car resprayed (maybe) haha.

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Name
    Brian
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Not sure if people still read build threads or Not, but I thought I'd make one anyway, just to keep track of what I'm doing with the car.

So I took my car to a budget exhaust shop and put my car on the hoist only to find:

Looks stunning doesnt it? Not sure if the lad lied to me when he said it probably isn't work fixing as its rekt, but doesn't matter. Looks like trash, isnt hung properly, so I'm getting a new one custom made, that hopefully isnt as loud as this one is.

Not sure if any mechanics can help out, but a leak of this sort could cause the O2 sensor to read more oxygen, and thus, inject more fuel? Could explain why it has a strong smell of petrol every time I drive.

And it is done!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Another thing I did was replace the steering rack and did a wheel allignment. Car feels so much better to drive and steering feels more rigid. It had a lot of play Before, probably cause of old tie rods.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Before I bought the car, I did some hunting around and I Remembered that I dug up a possible old owner of the car. Not sure if he still is an active member, but looks like he did a mad job repairing the rust on the car.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by bwidjaja1; 10th November 2017 at 02:46 PM.

Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey nice car I like it a lot is it the one from Adelaide I was checking it out but it looked like it had some left over rust from the previous repair anyhow it's still nice the paint is still rough though can't wait to see the end product!

Name
    Brian
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey mate.

Yeah it's the one from Adl! What rust did you notice? When I got It, there was some surface rust, but good sand down and rust converter did the trick (hopefully) haha

Yeah paint wasnt the best. Tbh I was a bit disappointed at first since I travelled fairly far to have a look at it, and it was during my exam period, but it isn't as bad as all my others cars that i had owned.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Today's my first day that i could take a break from my exams so I've been fairly motivated to work on the car. Little things I've done today (besides from my prev post) is attempt to lessen the squeaky noises inside the car and..

Replace the ADM dash with the whiteline dash. Took a bit of messing around to see what goes where, but it's done

I did notice that the handbrake light doesnt show up and instead this light does.

But i can live with that haha

Thanks for reading peeps.

Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

WELL DONE WIDJAJA

Sent from my Windows Phone

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah mate people still read build threads, not as often as they used to though.

Very clean / nice car mate.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners