Thread: 86 SR5 - having trouble getting it to crank

Name
    Kristen
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States

Default 86 SR5 - having trouble getting it to crank

Hey so I have a 86 SR5 hatch that has 170k original miles on it, have recently started throwing parts at her. Here is what I have done so far:

Fuel Pump, Filter, and all new lines under the hood
    Rebuilt carburetor
    capped off most of the vac lines
    replaced some blown fuses
    replaced the ignition switch.
    wheel cylinders, master and slave clutch cyls
    EGR delete

I managed to get it cranked a couple weekends ago. She idled for about 2 solid minutes then died. I had a block off plate made for the left side of the EGR. plugged the right side with a spark plug (could not find a bolt to replace the banjo bolt with, i tried) but the spark plug works well enough.

Car will not crank. I am not sure what to check now. Only thing I can think of is to buy more vac line, and completely redo all the stock vac lines how the car came originally, instead of capping them off. Any ideas? Anything I can try to narrow it down?

1. car IS getting fuel and spark! Has compression. Ran for those 2 minutes fine before.
    2. I have not really messed with carbureted cars before, but after a few tries on cranking it, I typically let it sit for a while so I do not flood it when I try again.
    My Current Collection: 1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 "Sweet Pea" 1985 Toyota Supra "Lucifer"
    2001 Toyota Celica GT "Dirty Bastard"
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S "Race car"
    2004 Toyota Celica GT "Parts Car"
    1989 Honda Civic hatch "Ruby" 1994 Honda Civic hatch "Demonica" 2001 Acura Integra GSR "Linda"
    1973 AMC Gremlin "Gretchen"
    1981 GMC C1500 "Cocaine" (sold)
    1996 Infiniti I30 (everyone needs a beater, right?) "Infiniturd" (sold) 8th gen Corolla coming soon

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hows the timing?

Had a similar issues, poured some petrol (like 10ml) into the carby and got the 4ac running
    30kw club

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

By the car not cranking do you mean it won't turn over on the starter motor? or yo mean it won't run.

As the others said , pour a lil fuel into the carby and try that. But also , take the fuel line off the inlet to the carby and see if fuel is coming out.

Very likely to be the mechanical fuel pump has shat itself, but make sure you grab a hose and put the line into a bucket as if it hits the exhaust and gets hot it is likely to ignite.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Dave
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    USA

You may also want to verify that the carb float is not sticking and the adjustment.
    Dave W