Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    Kyle
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States of (North) America

Default Intro and First of Many Questions to Come

Howdy from the state of Texas! I go by Kyle, and other than wishing for an actual first car, I've got no experience, but do have *tons* of knowledge on maintenance and build from outside sources.

As for that mentioned first question; How would I go about buying, putting together, and running a street tuned 4A-GE of whichever type, followed by implanting it into a chassis similar in character to the AE86 (Miata NA/Anything else as small/light/"cute")

Now while I did say I have knowledge of this, I don't have tuning knowledge, so lots of that would be appreciated.
    (PS I feel like an upgraded ~125bhp base 4A-GE would make the norm of Miatas being extra slow changed...despite it still being slower than most after changes are made)
    (PSS I'll take the hate of mentioning a Miata here, but there just aren't any AE86 trims close by...)

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hi Kyle,

take your time buy an ae86 when you find one.

Miata wont appreciate ae86 will.

Ebay, Techno Toy Tuning, Group 4 Engineering, Toda, HKS, theres lots of bits for ae86

IMHO buy a GTS and turbo it.

Name
    Dave
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    USA

kyle welcome
    Join the 4AG club. lots of tuning info.
    Search Club 4AG forum and also AEU86.
    Dave W

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

I see absolutely no reason to put a 4AGE in a Miata. Unless you just happened to have a Miata with a blown engine and a running 4AGE in the shed.

Buy a Miata, keep the engine and tune/turbo it. Or look longer/harder to find an AE86.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

All engine swaps follow the same process.

1. Will it fit without modifying the mounts / trans tunnel etc?

If it doesn't fit, how much cutting or what custom mounts are required etc. The ae86 is fortunate to have many companies that make mounts for most engine combos. Custom tail shafts are easy to get, you provide the measurement from the diff to the gearbox and a shop can make them for you.

2. What electronics does it need to run?

Add relays / fuses to power up the ECU and get sensors connected where they need them. There are a heap of wiring guides out there on the 4age motors, they all have the same principals. Power the ecu, injectors, coil / igniter and the car will run. Next is the fuel pump, which in the 4age's case is controlled by the ECU. Then is the charging system/ alternator. And finally the displays on the dash so you as a driver can keep an eye on things.

3. What fuel system does it need?

Depending on power will determine the size of the fuel system, in 99% of cases there is no such thing as too big, there is overkill but you should never hurt a fuel system with the appropriate regulators etc. Surge tanks are useful if the car was carby or doesn't have the appropriate baffle in the tank originally. In tank pumps will always be quieter than external ones, but its a personal preference on this. Lines depending on flow requirements you may need to upgrade them.

4. Is it worth it?

The answer to this one is almost always no, as you could buy the original car with the motor you are swapping and be pretty happy with it. However, from a self satisfaction and having the car you want to drive of course it is worth it once the car is completed.

Other considerations to take into account do my local laws permit this engine in the car?

But usually if you can physically mount the engine, you are 3/4 the way there to making it work.
    Last edited by Matt; 19th November 2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners