Thread: Question for People with G-series diff in their cars..esp KE70s

Name
    Maxwell
    State
    Drift Zone
    Country
    Uganda

Default Question for People with G-series diff in their cars..esp KE70s

Just wanted to know how heavy a Hilux diff feels behind a KE70. I've read lots of forums and people say it's overkill. How bad is it -the feel? Compared to the stock diff?

Does it greatly affect the weight distribution/balance of the car?

Would it be too much behind a 1996 1uzfe swap?

Someone please respond.

Thanks

M.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

It is allot larger than you'd need, but if you have the diff already modified to fit, it'll be ok in the car.

YR21 Diff from a tarago would be a much better choice.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Many, many years ago I was speaking to Mr Shin (sadly no longer with us). He had a 4AGE AE86 and had just installed a G series diff in it. He said that despite what everyone claimed he didn't notice a difference with the extra weight or rotational inertia.

So, would it be overkill? Most likely, unless you plan on seriously abusing it or the motor has a turbo in its future.
    Would it ruin your life? No.

Name
    Maxwell
    State
    Drift Zone
    Country
    Uganda

Thanks Matt.

Yes, the diff is already modified to fit,.... with Previa disc brakes. Was kinda worried about the weight issue.

Name
    Maxwell
    State
    Drift Zone
    Country
    Uganda

Thanks Hen... Well, I have no plans for a turbo yet, but my money's on Mr. Shin's observation. (RIP). I guess there's only one way to find out...

We'll see.

Name
    Nathan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I have been using a G series in my AE71, mainly used for sprint and circuit days with some drifting along the way aswell.
    I must say that i noticed the weight immediately when i first drove it with the heavy G in the back.
    The car lost some of the typical 'Nimble' behavior (that we all love) and the feel that the small corolla should have,
    Particularly noticed when drifting (transitions less snappy,

I have now switched to a MK2 Corona F series to try and get the feel of the car back.
    Just my 2c, im sure everyones had different experiences, but mine was not particularly positive unfortunately.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'm running the F diff from the mx as well and its pretty agile with the F diff in the car. I cant speak on G and how that feels, but I aimed at F because I like that its the Light weight idea compared to any other easy upgrade really. Its heavier than a T series but in a pretty stripped car with a w57 and alloy engine block it feels like a fun time. The weights effectively removed from the higher more spread out areas in the car and put back under the floor. Nothing about that is bad for handling. Its a lot heavier than a T series to carry around and install. T series is no worries for han solo but F series or bigger means bring the wookie.

In a perfect world, some kind of nitrited pankl built triple coated triple heat treated 4.5:1 T series 2 way would be doing the job, but its just physics it likely wont last no matter what you do if you want to drift or put the power from a bigger engine down. I've just always wondered whats possible with some kind of re engineered T series. Maybe in a car built to a really light rolling weight with high power.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Little red: I remember there is some mob (Weir??) that do fat axles, maybe even floating hubs, solid pinion spacers, etc, etc that are supposed to improve the reliability of T-series. I seem to remember that they claimed their T series survived behind SR20s. No idea if they were talking through their hat or not.

Found it -

Name
    Maxwell
    State
    Drift Zone
    Country
    Uganda

Thanks guys for your input.

Funny thing is, the stock AE70 diff is suprisingly still holding up well behind the 1uz and W57. Not that I've really dared to drive it sooo hard- like it's stolen, but so far so good - probably because the car weighs almost nothing . According to what I had read online, I didn't expect it to last this long...coz I've done some good runs with the car already. The only issue is the lack of LSD... too much pointless wheelspin.

Now, based on what Sprinter86 and LittleRedSpirit are saying, perhaps I should hold off with the diff swap and enjoy the stock diff for as long as it lasts, while the G-series sits quietly in the shed waiting.

Cheers.
    Last edited by qagzie; 10th August 2018 at 06:02 AM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The standard diff is often dismissed as being strong, but to be honest i've seen people with turbo 4a's keep them for a number of years drifting before breaking them. They are marginally stronger than a t-series.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast